z

Young Writers Society

NaPo Poetry Prompts Contest

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 am
niteowl says...

Hey everyone! So here we are, in the last third of NaPo. Maybe you're still a never-ending spring of ideas, but if you're anything like me, you're running out of steam. So let's help each other out!

It's pretty simple. Just come up with a prompt that someone could use for a cool poem! It will likely be accepted and put into a list of prompts for enjoyment by YWSers ever after!

What's in it for me?
What, helping out your fellow uninspired YWSers not reward enough? Okay here's the points breakdown:
Each prompt submitted and accepted will get 50 points. You can submit 6 prompts, so that's 300 points!

If I write a poem based on your idea, you will get an additional 100 points. If someone else writes a poem based on your idea and posts it on YWS, you will also get 100 points. This part extends beyond the deadline (e.g. if someone uses the idea six months from now, you get points).

If you use one of the ideas, let me know so I can award points accordingly!

Rules
1. You may submit up to SIX prompts.
2. Be original. If I find the same prompt elsewhere, I won't accept it. I also won't accept it if it's similar to another submitted prompt (for example, if someone already said "Write a poem about apples", "Write a poem about granny smith apples" won't count.)
3. Keep the prompt forum-friendly (PG) please.

Deadline: May 10, 11:59 PM EST (I'm extended this beyond April because I've been so late in getting this started)
EDIT: I have extended the deadline so prompt away! :D

Suggestions
So what could possibly prompt a poem? This could include many things
-Form
-Subject matter
-Words/lines to include
-Words to exclude (e.g. "write a love poem without using the word "love")
-Quotes from famous people or poems

See, there's so much you can do! Let your imagination run wild! :)

I'll start us off with a couple:
1. Write a poem about hippos
2. Write a rhyming poem...about oranges.

Have at it! :)
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:53 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

This *probably* exists somewhere else, but take any book within reach, doesn't matter if it's a text book, or the bible, or a dictionary or a user's manual on how to fix your computer, or a novel that you can't part with for even a second. Open the book. Point to a random spot on the page and write a poem about it. I don't care if what you point to is a picture, or if it's a math equation or if it's a super boring instruction on how to clean out your mouse. YOU WRITE ABOUT THAT THING. If the poem ends up terrible, well, at least it got you thinking. But most of the time I find that even if it's a really random thing, I have a few words for it that could be inserted into poetry and be the best lines in there.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

863 Reviews

Reviews: 863
Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:57 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

Write a poem using a screen of some kind in the poem, but not as the subject of the poem. You can use it as a symbol, or mention it, or liken something to it, but don't use it as the focus of the poem.
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sun May 04, 2014 2:09 am
View Likes
megsug says...

Write a structured poem about freedom.

I may come back to this in the next two days...
Test

“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author