z

Young Writers Society

Novel Cover Art Contest- Carsia

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Are you an artist looking for something to do?

Well, you're in luck, because I'm a writer with no artistic ability who's looking for a novel cover for my novel, Carsia.

What's Carsia about, you may ask?

Well, Carsia is a novel set in a mid-1800s fantasy style world, during war time. The main character, Eleanor, is betrothed to a horrible man named Randolph, when her best friend Theodore returns from the war. She sees this as her escape, and after a party at the Randolph's palace, decides. She's going to run away and work as a nurse under Theo, who happens to be a doctor for the King's Royal Guard. Theo agrees and takes her with him, and they go on a dangerous and exciting journey, falling in love in the process.

What do I get for spending hours slaving over a wonderful novel cover for you, now you cry, tears sparkling in your eye at the thought of dedicating yourself to such a worthy cause?

Well, since I'm terrible at anything Art, I suppose you'll receive 4 reviews on any other work you desire. (There will only be first prize offered for this contest, sorry.)

Well, how long to I have to finish this piece of art?

You have till April 6th, unless you need more time.

What information will need to be on the cover?

Just the name of the novel, Carsia with 'a novel' somewhere. Don't put my user name though, I'll probably end up adding my actual name to it at some point.

What should I do once I finish it?

Just post it in the Art & Photography section and link it here! Unless you would rather PM the art too me. I'm not too picky.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just shoot me a PM or comment here.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm
Cole says...

What are you looking for aesthetically? Dark, romantic, minimalistic, theatrical?

Secondly, what do the characters look like?

Thirdly, what do you imagine the focus of the cover being? What do you want it to say about your story?

Random avatar

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 pm
Cole says...

One more thing, are you going to be using this for commercial use? If so, it hinders what graphics and fonts I'm legally allowed to use for you.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 am
crossroads says...

Oh, I'll be doing this too, and those are very good questions ^^

I figured, why not, seeing that I do love making covers, and it'd be no fun for Cole to "compete" with himself, right? ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

355 Reviews

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:25 am
LadySpark says...

Whatever you feel like, even though it needs to be a little fantastical since it's a fantasy novel. Eleanor has carrot colored hair, pale skin and freckles. Theo is tall, dark and handsome xD
I imagine the cover to be very fantastical, the dragon, the castle sort of thing. Adventurey.

If you have any more questions or I wasn't clear enough, drop me a line. Happy to have ya!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:58 pm
crossroads says...

So, yeah.. I went with the darkish fantasy setting :3
Took me quite some time, but I rather enjoyed making it.. From what I read in your first chapter, it should be fitting enough <.<

Poof.

I can change the colour to pretty much anything, if you happen to wish it be lighter or something ^^
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Um... *pokes*

355 Reviews

Fri May 17, 2013 6:13 pm
LadySpark says...

The contest is in the process of being decided, I promise. I'm actually having a lot of trouble picking which one I like the best.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh