Young Writers Society

Story Starters Contest

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

@Gravity You've been added!

@PrincessInk Submit your story via PM or in a spoiler in this thread please. As for posting on YWS, sure!

I'll be sending out the prompts for each person in an hour or two, so be ready for that to come! ;)

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:53 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

readyreadyreadyreadyreadyreadyomgimready
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

1081 Reviews

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

Sorry that this took so long! I forgot to post, hehe. Here are your prompts and I will say that names and pronouns are allowed to be changed but PM me that you're doing so if you change pronouns or names so I can update the prompts for judging. With that being said, good luck to all and your prompts are below! I spared nobody in prompt-making. :3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Lightsong The dog trotted along the path, not thinking of much.

@Wolfical A single road ran through her new town--wonderful.

@PrincessInk The cold crawled underneath their skin because the cold felt cold too that day.

@Steggy With all his might, he pulls an irregular-shaped bone out of the ground.

@ChieRynn The dragon ate humans based on his moral code; unfortunately for Joaquim, this meant he ate a lot of bandits for breakfast.

@fortis You will have eaten a handful of Combos; these Combos will be your demise.

@EternalRain Everyone begged for the drought to end until the rain came.

@Aralynne I woke to an arachnid hanging over my bed too large to be deterred by a heavy object or water.

@Sassafras The child wished he knew that the trees talked trash behind his back sooner.

@Dulcet "What have you done, child?" My grandmother asks me as she looks down at the smashed portrait on the ground, then turning her attention to the vague sihoulette standing before her.

@Dracula Sitting in a coffin all day is pretty boring--that's why I dug my way out.

@birk The unicorn poked the small girl on the shoulder while saying, "You're in my way."

@bluewaterlily He lived at the pond long enough that he started to grow gills.

@Holysocks I shoot an arrow at the swordsman who is charging towards my mates and I.

@Cutieboingwritez A year ago today I met the man in a trenchcoat and top hat whose fashion screamed villain--he's a pretty nice guy.

@ThemagicalEbonyFox I watched her hair change colors at the snap of her fingers.

@Sonder The floor of her apartment building rumbled.

@Lumos Their fireball missed the fireplace by an inch or two, catching onto a blanket on the floor.

@LeftyWriter The sky turned crimson and the clouds began to spin as I finished reciting the spell.

@Stormcloud The fireflies danced as she went to bed.

@neptune Any form of vegetation became rare during the apocalypse meaning that he would defended that patch of grass to the death.

@Sheytato The reaper chicken ate soup for breakfast.

@everonlyaudaciously I watched the man walk out of the restaurant with the duffelbag.

@DarkPandemonium The Queen was far from pleased.

@Gravity I walked into the coffee shop only to see him working as the cashier.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 am
Lightsong says...

Oh damn the prompt is hard. -_-'
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

641 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 641
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 am
Panikos says...

Is there a word limit? Also, in regards to submitting them, do we publish them on YWS and put a link in this thread? It's been a long time since I did a YWS contest so I don't remember how it goes
The backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done.

~Radical Face

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:23 am
sheysse says...

"The reaper chicken are soup for breakfast."

Seriously? XD

1081 Reviews

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:28 am
Virgil says...

@DarkPandemonium You can post in the thread, post on YWS and post the link in the thread or PM the story to me!

As for the word limit--please don't write me a novel or novella. A short story is generally considered to be under 10k but I'd very much appreciate if all of the submissions were under 5k but I'm not going to say no if it's over by a bit.

@Sheytato Welp. I typoed and meant to say chicken soup--feel free to do reaper chicken though because that'd be great but I'll let you pick since I mistyped.

I tried to give everyone prompts that were going to be challenging though. That's the best part! I get to remove you and detach you from your comfort zones to try something new.

641 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 am
Panikos says...

Thank you! I'll shoot for below 5k then. :)

~Radical Face

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:38 am
sheysse says...

You know, I may actually go with a reaper chicken...

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

Sitting in a coffin all day is pretty boring--that's why I dug my way out.

Spoiler! :
Bugs crawling all over your skin, scuttling away when you move. Spirals and circles swirling round and round in your eyes as your brain tries to make sense of the darkness. The wood rumbling and vibrating as those above shake the earth, the rotted wood cracking, pinching your pale skin. The same thoughts, songs and memories playing over and over in your mind until they have no meaning. Sitting in a coffin all day is pretty boring--that's why I dug my way out.
Head poking out of the shoulder-width hole, tip-toes on my coffin floor, I look up at the sky. It’s just as I left it twenty years ago. The striking aqua of a spring morning, the marshmallow clouds, the sun’s warmth on my skin. Boy, that feels good, like I’ve stepped into a hot-spring. Or like I’m a piece of frozen meat being thawed. FIY, that’s exactly what I am.
“Hello.” I reach my bony hand out to the man in front of me. His face is almost as white as mine, his mouth is certainly wider. “Could you please stop gawking and help me out of here?”
He’s obviously never seen someone emerge from a grave before, because he turns and runs away. I can’t say I blame him, if I hadn’t done this twelve times before, I’d be pretty creeped out too.
I press my fingers into the gravel and launch off the wood, pulling myself out of the hole. The rocks scratch at my dry skin and as I land on them, but it’s an amazing feeling. Stronger than the numbness, stronger than the bugs. Electricity pumps through me as my nerves come back to life, and I smile for the first time in decades.
“So, planet earth,” I say to no one in particular, “what’s new?”
The sky looks the same, the sun feels the same. The air smells the same, like car exhausts and compost. Not to mention the familiar scent of rot and decay--mind you, that’s probably just me. But I know things are different, things are always different.
Last time I emerged, it had been night, yet people pointed shining sticks at me, bright as day. I learnt about the invention of torches, powered by portable electricity.
The time before that, I was greeted by a woman in pants. Pants! The idea had been so foreign to me at the time, though I wouldn’t think twice about it now.
I’ve watched countries rise and fall, witnessed medical miracles, trialled other-worldly inventions, met kings and magicians and celebrities. I keep thinking that nothing can surprise me, that I’ll emerge from my coffin and everything will be the same as it was. But nothing stays the same, things are always different.
A bird chirps behind me and I whirl around, noticing how many more gravestones are erected now. I hear a whirring, see the flash of a car speeding down the nearby lane. I lace my fingers through a patch of grass, absorb its moisture, familiarise myself with the feeling of life. I look at all the colours around me, the aqua and the green and grey and…
Something flashes and I hear the click of a camera shutter. Have the newspapers come? No--it’s the running man, the one who left me to pull myself out of the grave.
“Have you come to apologise?” I ask, swaying on the ground.
He remains silent. In fact, it’s like he doesn’t even recognise I’m an actual living, breathing woman. He touches a small rectangle in his hands and my vision flashes white, I hear that camera sound again. It came from the box, but that’s not what a camera looks like. Surely cameras haven’t changed?
“Are you going to talk?”
Flash. Click.
“Have humans gone dumb?”
Flash. Click. He’s so focussed on holding that little camera just right.
I push onto my knees, starting to stand. My legs are wobbly from their two decade sleep, but the movement comes naturally. It feels so good to stretch. The man moves too, he thrusts his free arm forwards and finally speaks.
“Don’t go yet!” He begs. “Can I get a selfie?”
I’ve been introduced to a lot of new things in my thirteen lives, but honestly… what on earth is a selfie?
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

What specific things are we trying to score for here?
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

641 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm
Panikos says...

Out of interest, am I okay to change the perspective I write from? I'd still be using the same opening line, it's just the piece would be in first person - the Queen wouldn't be the POV character.

~Radical Face

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 am
Justlittleoleme2 says...

Can I jump in late? Please ^-^

1081 Reviews

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

@Justlittleoleme2 Only if I can pick the perspective and tense that your prompt will be in! :P Hehe. You sure you want to?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 am
Justlittleoleme2 says...

...Yes. :P ...Please :D

Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell