z

Young Writers Society

Introducing: The YWS Radio Theater (Closed)

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:21 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

YWS RADIO THEATER

Spoiler! :
Not officially endorsed by The Young Writers Society

Radio plays - theater without a visual component - were popular in the early 1930s and 40s. As there were no visuals, they had to rely purely on sound to create a compelling story. While they disappeared with the advent of television, radio plays remain to this day a unique and interesting form of storytelling, and today is your chance to dabble in it.

What is it?

The YWS Radio Theater present a short (10-15pg) original radio play on a 30 minute live podcast (date/time of the first episode TBD, but it will most likely take place the weekend of June 13th) written by YWS community members.

15-20 minutes will be spent performing the piece, and the last few minutes will be spend interviewing the author and/or some sort of behind the scenes featurette.

How do I enter?

You have three weeks (between now and May 16th, 2014 to send me a PM with your script. We'll try to announce the winner within the next week, and if your script is picked you'll have the opportunity to have as much involvement in the rehearsal process as you want (you can be a voice, you can sit in on rehearsals, I'd like to interview you in the last 10 minutes of the show) but I'll be in touch with you further about what exactly you want to do if you're picked.

And if you aren't picked, you'll have first dibs at being a voice if you so desire. In addition, If this is a success I'd love to it again?

But I don't know anything about radio dramas!

Most people don't! But it's always an incredible experience to try new forms of writing - especially dramatic writing! I'm not going to be too much a stickler about format, but just as long as you follow the basic rules outlined by this article.

If you wish, feel free to download Celtx which is a free scriptwriting software that will automatically format your script into radio format! There are also templates for type of dramatic writing.

If you're stuck on ideas, try adapting a short story! This article is a great resource as well. If you're having trouble visualizing the finished product, check out this classic example of a radio drama. Remember that since there are no visuals, the dialogue and the sounds are very important!

--
Feel free to PM me/post here if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing entries from everyone soon!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:37 pm
View Likes
Spotswood says...

Okay, I am totally in. I have been a fan of "Suspense", "The Whistler", "The Shadow", "Inner Sanctum", "Yours Truly Johnny Dollar", and other such radio serials since I was like ten.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:34 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Sounds like fun! I've been listening to radio my whole life, practically. I probably won't be able to participate, but maybe next time.
100% autistic

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:53 am
wakarimasen says...

This sounds really cool! :)

Out of curiosity, is there a way for someone to audition for voice acting even if they're not able to submit a script?

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 am
View Likes
Paracosm says...

Woo! I better get to writing. This is a pretty clever idea, if I do say so myself! :P
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm
Elinor says...

@ComicalCrafty - no. Anyone who wants to participate will be able to but it will be on a first come, first serve basis, with preference to people who submitted scripts that didn't get chosen and the kind of voices we need!

-- Walt Disney

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:34 pm
wakarimasen says...

Elinor Brynn wrote:@ComicalCrafty - no. Anyone who wants to participate will be able to but it will be on a first come, first serve basis, with preference to people who submitted scripts that didn't get chosen and the kind of voices we need!

Okay, thanks. :)

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:58 pm
Messenger says...

@Elinor%20Brynn i am getting notifications that people are saying people on this thread, but when I click on the notification it says "this page does not exist." You know why?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm
Elinor says...

I'm not sure! Go ahead and post in the Report a Site Bug thread!

-- Walt Disney

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:09 pm
Spotswood says...

I myself am a voice actor, having participated in several projects after being recruited (including an adaptation of treasure island).

http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/ac ... f8437e36b9

If we have a shortage of voice actors, we can always rely on this great website!
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri May 02, 2014 10:09 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Looks like a nice place, Spot, but we already are on a great website we can rely on ;)

Seriously, people on YWS have amazing voices, and this is an awesome idea, so it would be just as awesome to see those two combined c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun May 04, 2014 6:22 pm
Daisuki says...

I want to participate sooooo bad.
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon May 05, 2014 9:08 am
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

OMGSH My drama class' last activity is to make a Radio theater show!! The coincidence astounds me!!!

I'd like to participate ;) ...but I can't write script :( Could some of us just be actors/actress'?
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon May 05, 2014 5:19 pm
LadySpark says...

@thewritersdream

like Eli said, actors/actresses are on a first come, first come basis.

Anyone who wants to participate will be able to but it will be on a first come, first serve basis, with preference to people who submitted scripts that didn't get chosen and the kind of voices we need!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon May 05, 2014 5:48 pm
Daisuki says...

Should this include a cast list at the beginning? And also, in regards to language, what rating should this be kept at? PG-13, or were you thinking something lower?
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson