z

Young Writers Society

Uniquely Cliché

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:13 am
View Likes
deleted30 says...

The Writer's Club is once again hosting a contest! I'm pretty excited about this one, because the topic is something that's uniquely ununique (and "ununique" is totally a word).

Prompt: Write about a clichéd theme. Yep, you heard me right. Clichés are usually things us writers stay away from best we can, but I am now asking you to purposely write a story based on a theme that has been deemed "cliché."

For example:

* Vampires. The much-hyped Twilight series has ruined vampires for writers everywhere, and I'm not sure this breed of undead bloodsuckers will ever be the same. Unless YOU change that!

* Dystopian societies. This one's been pretty popular in recent years. And by "popular," I mean overused. So give me something unique, okay? Writing something in a post-apocalyptic world or some other less-than-utopian future society could be interesting as long as you stay away from what other writers have done.

* Wizards, boarding schools, and anything else related to Harry Potter. I really don't even need to explain this one.

These are only a few examples, though! There's plenty of other clichés out there. And if you can't think of any, go to Google and type in "writing clichés." Or "popular teen/tween books."

I want a 100% unique spin on a storyline that's already been written about time and time again. Got that? So if you want to write something involving vampires, stay away from angst-y, submissive teenaged girls and their broodingly perfect vampiric love interest. (Or whatever Twilight is about... I honestly have no idea.) :D

Rules: Must be finished and handed in by April 10th, please. Must be rated 16+ or less (i.e., no F-bombs or graphic sex scenes/sexual content, but minor swear words are allowed). Has to be 5,000 words or less.

Only short stories, so no poems or chapters. If it's a longer story, please break it up into two parts, 'kay? ;)

You can post your piece here by copying and pasting it in. And if you don't post it or give a link to it here, at the very least PM me so I know you're participating.

Please post it with the title and spoilers.

First and second place winners will be selected within a week of the contest ending.

Prizes

First place will win:

500 Points and Five Reviews by Me

Second place will win:

350 Points and Three Reviews by Me

And finally, third place will be awarded:

200 Points and One Review by Me

If you want to donate points or reviews, you definitely can. Just post here and let me know so I can update it. ;)

Anyone that wants to judge can PM me. Winners will be selected based on originality (this is a big one), uniqueness, technical flawlessness (a lack of typos/grammar missteps/punctuation problems), pacing, descriptions, and solid dialogue (if you choose to include any).

Post your questions here. :D

As usual, subscribing to the Writer's Club if you want to enter this contest is in no way a requirement, but is greatly appreciated! Here's the link: clubs/1819/wall

Also, posting a response to this forum if you're interested in entering would be super awesome! That way, I have an idea of how long the judging process might take and how many judges I might need to recruit... :wink:

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:13 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

I'm interested in this one. I really like the idea. :)
The World Is Mine.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 am
lostthought says...

I could do zombie thing. Of course, they wouldn't exactly be zombies since my version is always different...
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:39 am
RurouniOfLife says...

Interesting. . . Very Interesting >u>
Lead, kindly Light. . .
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene; one step enough for me

(*Was previously KatKage. Sorry for not saying earlier! ''X3*)

~*~ Love is the Answer ~*~

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:58 am
View Likes
lostthought says...

In my dreams, zombies are not brain dead but people who has a disease where they start to crave raw meat and start to root even though they are alive. Sometimes they go mad and go on a killing spree, but otherwise they try to restrain themselves before they go mad. Also you have to be bitten twice before you become truly affected. (I have such weird dreams)
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:26 am
Laure says...

Hmm...I would like to write something about dystopian or vampires. I would like to spin something...

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket