Young Writers Society

Pen Wars Episode IV: A New Poetry Challenge

863 Reviews

Reviews: 863
Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:16 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

Hello, friends!

This contest is of my own devising, but will be judged by the fair judges listed in the club Contested Corner.

The point of this contest is to see who can incorporate interesting words best into their poem. I will give you three sets of words below, and you must incorporate these into a short poem (no more than 200 words) If, of course, you go five words over, no one is going to shoot you, but really. Don't write an epic.

You may pick any of the three sets. The sets are of five words each, and you must use every one of the five words in your poem. You may not pick and choose from the sets. You may use other tenses of the word. If the word is flight, you may use fly. You may not use a synonym.

Set 1:
arcane, hinge, calendar, detox, goggles

Set 2:
bloat, zoo, dusk, donut, menace

Set 3:
gibberish, hibernation, divorce, soon, fuse

To submit your entry, you may post the work on YWS and then post a link either here, in the main contest forum, or in the club Contested Corner (link below). If you wish to keep your entry secret, you may PM me your entry.

Now the part that everyone wants to hear.
Prizes:
1st prize: Three long, detailed reviews from me on three different works of your choosing. They don't have to be yours.
2nd prize: Two long, detailed reviews from me on two different works of your choosing. Again, they don't have to be yours.
3rd prize: One long, detailed review from me on one work of your choosing. It doesn't have to be yours, though I would recommend it be yours.

Go forth and write!

For reference:
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/clubs/1816
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla