z

Young Writers Society

Publish YOURSELF!?

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:27 am
Bobo says...

You guys, I just found the craziest site ever. http://lulu.com is apparently a free website where you can publish your OWN books. The only money that they'll take from you is on the actual profits of the books themselves.

I can hardly believe this; it's like a freakin' dream come true. Of course, I have no personal experience with the site, but VOID uses the site to publish their periodic collective comic book, and they're the kind of website that knows what they're doing, so it's gotta be pretty good. You get to design the cover, the layout, and everything. I'd give you more details, but that's all I know. If I ever get any sort of book or anything done, I'll use the site and tell you more.

Happy publishing and selling!

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:47 pm
Sureal says...

There are a number of self publishing websites out there. Treat them with caution though, as many take advantage of new writers, charging you lots of money for a shoddy product.

And remember, you have to sell the books yourself, the companies don't do it for you.

This one looks better than most though, and they even sell your book on their site.
I wrote the above just for you.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:30 pm
smaur says...

Yes, but self-publishing has its own set of problems, and is rarely as effective (or lucrative) as publishing via established publishers.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:12 pm
Karma says...

It's pretty weird, and I agree that they will probably take advantage of you.
I bet (not really, since i'm broke :D ) that there's a catch.

131 Reviews

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:48 pm
smaur says...

Karma >> No, I'm pretty sure they don't (take advantage of you, that is) — I've actually never used it, but from the tons of people on the Nanowrimo boards who've used it successfully, I'd say it's pretty catch-free.

The problem with self-publishing is that you're basically a one-person publishing team. You don't have the marketing team, the editors, the network of contacts, the established wholesalers and distributors. You have to everything on your own — organize book launches at local bookstores, try to interesting libraries in purchasing your books, try to get the same amount of exposure to the media, etc. Heck, I'm pretty sure (in Canada, anyway) you're not even allowed getting a CIP entry if you're self-published.

There are writers who've been able to self-publish successfully, or least moderately successfully. But it may not be as heaven-sent as you think it is, that's all.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:51 pm
Bobo says...

Yeah, I wouldn't use it for something really big, but if you've got some little thing that you don't think will get published by a big publisher and want to sell it anyway, like to friends or whatever, this would be a sweet site to use. Heck, it would be cool just to buy your own stuff so that you have a hard copy or whatever.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:13 am
Black Ghost says...

Yeah, that would be awesome!

I should use this site one day. Maybe when I finish something good.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:47 pm
*Twilight* says...

Yeah, I wouldn't use it for something really big, but if you've got some little thing that you don't think will get published by a big publisher and want to sell it anyway, like to friends or whatever, this would be a sweet site to use. Heck, it would be cool just to buy your own stuff so that you have a hard copy or whatever.

That would be really cool If I actually finished one of my stories I might get it made into a hard cover for display in my room as a trophy of my achievement.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:56 pm
Ego says...

Or maybe YWS could use it to gather a collection of our wonderful stories...

just a thought ;)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:06 pm
Firestarter says...

You're right Dono!

That would be wonderful.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:15 pm
*Twilight* says...

Or maybe YWS could use it to gather a collection of our wonderful stories...

just a thought

Now theres an idea!
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:01 pm
Snoink says...

:P

The stuff that dreams are made of...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 pm
Sureal says...

Doesn't Nate already have something like that planned?

Anyway, I've been looking around the Lulu site - and it actually looks really good. One thing that really caught my eye was that you could (for a price) have Lulu distribute your book at larger booksellers (such as Amazon) - something I've never seen a self-publishing organisation do. If you choose not to buy a distribution service, then your book will still be sold on Lulu.com.

This could really be worth doing. And let's not forget that a literary agent will be more likely to take you on if you already have a book or two out there - this could help lead you on to mainstream publishers. And even if they don't, it could still fetch you a bit of extra money.

I may well end up using this one day (either for a novel or for a collection of short stories... possibly both). I urge you all to have a good look around the site.
I wrote the above just for you.

131 Reviews

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:46 am
Crayon says...

Ohhhh that looks like a good site that you could really trust. WHen somebody finally uses it I would love to find out how it went.
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White