z

Young Writers Society

I am NOT A NEW MEMBER - rant with me

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:17 pm
Sophie says...

This topic is for all those who are referred to as a new member, when THEY ARE NOT. It is especially annoying from people who joined over ten months after you!!!

I, personally, am member number 31, on page 2 of the memberlist. I joined on the 22nd of November 2004 (That's a year today). And yet people who have joined in the last two months and seem to have no lives and spend all their time getting their post number into the three hundreds in a month, feel it's ok to say things like "Don't worry if people don't reply quickly, things are slow around here..." Like they're all wise and YWS-Yoda. Or "People don't tend to pick up on new kids' stuff straight away."

So rant with me, oh unrecognised oldies!! And may we teach the patronising newbies some respect!!
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:22 pm
Firestarter says...

For some reason people always realised I'm old (probably the post count), or just never comment on the matter anyway.

Still, I share your pain.

Although I fear this will just become a newbie-bashing topic.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:44 pm
Sophie says...

It probably s the post count. That's what they see, so they know your not new. Plus they've probably seen you around if you have 3311 posts.

*bans all newbie-basing in this topic except for that which is related to the problem of lack of regcognition as an established member*
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:49 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*gives Sophie a flashing neon-sign type name tag that says "I've been around since forever, gosh darnnit!"*

I think that should help.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:48 pm
Crysi says...

I've never had that problem, although I think I joined before Jack, if that explains anything. :P

Anyway, sometimes I look at an avatar and think, "Oh, new person." But it's really an old person with a new avatar... Bah.

Anyway, I know y'all are old farts! :P
Love and Light

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:51 pm
backgroundbob says...

Damn, are the newbies ranting again?

Don't worry if there aren't many responses to your rant: just hang around in the lounge for a while, and people will start commenting.

Good luck!
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:01 pm
Crysi says...

Tsk, tsk.

Just because you're worshipped in the pics thread doesn't mean you can antagonize the newbies - I mean, the precious members who have been here forever. ;)
Love and Light

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:23 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

You actually joined a year ago yesterday. Look at your thingermajig on the side.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:44 am
Nate says...

I remember you Sophie. Was very happy to see you come back!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am
Snoink says...

Crysi wrote:Anyway, sometimes I look at an avatar and think, "Oh, new person." But it's really an old person with a new avatar... Bah.

I do that all the time! If I don't see your avvie for awhile, or if you change it, I'm lost. XD

And when Emma changed her name to Haze... *shudders*

Yeah... I think I was one of the ones who welcomed you. XD On the plus side, you get to welcome me! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:53 am
Ego says...

Man, if someone called me a newb I'd go nuts and turn Empress Kat and her Ninjas loose on them...
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:02 am
Emma says...

Snoink wrote:
Crysi wrote:Anyway, sometimes I look at an avatar and think, "Oh, new person." But it's really an old person with a new avatar... Bah.

I do that all the time! If I don't see your avvie for awhile, or if you change it, I'm lost. XD

And when Emma changed her name to Haze... *shudders*

Yeah... I think I was one of the ones who welcomed you. XD On the plus side, you get to welcome me! :)

Don't you shudder! No one really thought I was new. XD

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:13 am
Snoink says...

Yes, but I hadn't a clue who you were. And I was going through my older stories, and I saw that Haze commented and it just drove me crazy! Usually, I try to keep updated with people who critique me, so I can be nice and critique them, but... who were you? XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:00 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Emma why are you Emma?

Yoda rules! We are the Yodas of YWS!
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:28 am
Bobo says...

Ha, I didn't even notice that you changed your name back, Emma! lol

This thread reminds me of a big mistake I made when I called two guys newbies who had, in fact, been members (one was the main admin) of the original version of the site (I joined in like the 3rd-5th version). However, and they pointed this out to me, I looked at when they joined rather than how many posts they had when I called them newbies. Fortunately for YWS, it's been the same site with the same people, so there won't be that confusion unless someone gets a new account, but the point is that posts don't have anything to do with how long you've been around or how much experience you've had on the forums.

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables