z

Young Writers Society

martial arts

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:04 am
sabradan says...

Anybody here train in any of the martial arts? I know Qi teaches Kung Fu. I have been training in Shotokan karate for 10 years, and have dabbled in Okinowan, and weapons. I also learn boxing from my freind, and I am planning on taking either Kendo, Aikido or Wushu at the Rec Center here at SIU.

Just wanted to see how many people here trained in the arts. Also, if you don't train, or even if you do, what is your perceptions about the martial arts?
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:01 am
Ego says...

I watch a lot of movies and am pretty friggin good at making it look convincing lol.

I wish I had the patience and discipline required for the martial arts, but I don't.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:06 am
Fishr says...

Hello. I've been into MMA since ..uh.. seven or younger. It has always fascinated me. So many styles; its great to see how everyone now cross-trains with different styles.

I don't train but I'd have to say submission fighting is pretty sweet. It's amazing watching how a grappler uses every muscle and joint to their advantage and the opponent tapping, lol.

Then again, its fun to watch a person mount the other opponent and lay the 'ground and pound' on them. It's brutal - punch after punch into the nose, eyes - everything on the face.

planning on taking either Kendo, Aikido or Wushu
Kendo, that's working with swords, yes? Like katanas? I forgot what Aikido is, and what is specifically focus' on, like stand up or ground work. Haven't heard of Wushu. What's Wushu? :) For that matter, could you please tell me what is Okinowan style? :)

Edit, forgot to mention something. My perception on MMA? It builds confidence, mental and physical discipline, total focus and it can be very spiritual, depending on the teacher. Having a brain cramp, but I believe the practice of kata, [if that's the right word I'm thinking of] can allow it to be spiritual. Not all of it HAS to be hand-to-hand combat. The arts, as you know, can be used to build self esteem also. So to make a long thing short, my perception on the arts is that in some respect, a few lessons SHOULD be mandatory in schools. When its all said and done, I think the self esteem boost and the feeling of an accomplishment of succeeding in something is an awesome feeling.
Last edited by Fishr on Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Random avatar

Reviews: 40
Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:43 pm
Once Upon A Dream says...

I've been doing Tae Kwon Do for over six years, and I also teach it. I have a second degree black belt, and I'm learning some sword forms at this level. The Korean sword art is called kum do (not sure if I spelled that right.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:19 pm
Sponson Light says...

]Kendo, that's working with swords, yes?

No, it means open hand, aka no weapons.
Im learning kendo, and there are some basic weapons training but mainly hand/feet to hand/feet.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

147 Reviews

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:43 pm
sabradan says...

Sponson Light wrote:
]Kendo, that's working with swords, yes?

No, it means open hand, aka no weapons.
Im learning kendo, and there are some basic weapons training but mainly hand/feet to hand/feet.

Actually, Sponson, Kendo is Japanese for "the way of the sword" and it is like Japanese fencing, but more of an art to it. What your thinking of is "Karate" which means "Open hand" I have been training in Karate for almost 10 years. I would be a black belt by now, but 1. I took a break for 6 months last summer, and I havent gotten to a dojo down here yet, and 2. I don't test unless I feel I have truly mastered the techniques that I was taught. So, at this point, I am a green belt (3 away from first degree black belt) but I don't test as often as most of the students in the dojo. So, yeah, thats not bragging (or at least not meant to be) but I do know quite a bit about what I am talking about.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:36 am
Fishr says...

sabradan-

I think you waiting to test, is noble of you. My cousin took up Karate, and he did the same thing you did, in a sense. He was a green belt [pretty sure] and then took a few months off, but forgot why. When he returned, because he felt he had missed so much, he took the white belt and started over, even though his teacher offered him his original belt back if he wanted it.

In your dojo, sabradan, what's it like sparring with your collegues? I mean how much does it test you, if it does at all? Just wondering. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

147 Reviews

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:53 am
sabradan says...

well, the dojo I used to be part of, we sparred a lot, and I was normally put up against older guys, so it was definately a challenge, for not just physical reasons, but also mental reasons. I liked it a lot.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.
— Edgar Allan Poe