z

Young Writers Society

Has anyone else...?

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:31 am
Duskglimmer says...

There have been alot of people on here (or it seems like alot) who have decided to leave the YWS (and alot of the rest of the internet as far as I know) in order to get some more time for real life.

I banned myself from the television a little while ago because it was eating up my time and I wanted to be doing other things. Someone told me that it was a really wierd idea the other day.

Is it anymore wierd that leaving the internet for a while?

And has anyone else decided to just stop watching TV?
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:43 am
Sam says...

*raises hand*

I only watch the odd CSI: Miami now...

Homework, YWS...no time for much else.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:45 am
mystical*dragons says...

I've never made a habit of watching t.v. too much. I just think it's too superficial and is spreading a culture that shouldn't be. Really, it's not like I don't watch t.v., i'm just not glued to it all the time.
....and so they lived happily ever after

moral: the faerie lies

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:56 am
sabradan says...

I dont really watch tv. Not because I don't like it or whatever, but because I don't have one.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:44 am
Crysi says...

I really don't watch TV anymore. The only times I really watch it are when eating dinner with my family (we watch Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Dr. Phil) and sometimes on Sunday (Niners games and NASCAR). I don't think it's a good habit to get into. Of course, being addicted to the Internet is so much better... :roll:
Love and Light

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:50 am
Meshugenah says...

TV? what's that? you mean there's life outside of AP homework? No way.

yeah. only TV I do watch is Giants, but as they're not in the playoffs... so I don't, really. Friends sometimes.. and Stargate if it's on when I'm home, and that's about it.

but no, leaving internet for a while isn't weird, I just don't like it! TV I can understand more, though..but it's not weird. worrisome, maybe..
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:42 am
Nefer says...

I only ever watch TV for the news and few of my favourite programmes, otheriwse I don't watch it.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:34 am
Boni_Bee says...

We don't have TV! :D its great!!! :wink: The computer is enough.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:23 pm
Firestarter says...

I don't really watch TV unless -

(a) Liverpool (soccer) are on it
(b) England are playing some sort of sport on it
(c) There's a particular history programme I would like to watch
(d) There's a good film on

Most TV series suck.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:41 pm
Nate says...

TV has gotten really boring lately, so there's no need for me now to give it up since I hardly watch it. I always catch every new episode of Battlestar Galatica, but the first half season is over and the second half season doesn't start until January (stupid sci-fi channel...). I did use to watch the news a lot, but now I just read newspapers and news magazines.

But giving up TV does not seem like a strange thing to me. What does seem strange to me is giving up the internet. The net is how I keep in touch with friends, get my news, and check everything else from my stocks to the weather. It's also how I plan camping trips for my scout troop and figure out the best way to get from my house to Capitol Hill on bike. So needless to say, I can't imagine giving up the internet.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:08 pm
Fool says...

I dont watch TV a lot now either, I watch Spin City or sometimes the news or a film/drama but thats it. The only other thing that i use the TV for is listening to the digital radios. I could live without it, but i might have to find a way to watch Spin City and Starsky and Hutch... and Enterprise... or the rally... this list is getting fairly long... um

The internet however, could not live without that for very long. Keep in touch with the net, can do almost anything with the net, i couldn't give that up. I dont see how people can spend all their time online though, i have a social life as well, its just a convienice tool really, but one i wouldn't like to live without.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:17 pm
Quiz says...

*Ventures away from the Literary forums for a moment*

I don't watch much TV, not even NBA games. I prefer to live them. ;)

The extent of my TV watching is when I am sitting at my computer chair typing away here at the Society or dabbling in my own works, and the TV happens to be on across the room, usually my brat sister playing her pointless video games.
"I wish not to be understood, but to understand...I wish not to be loved, but to love!"
--Clare of Assissi

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:01 pm
Jennafina says...

Ok. I have to say it too. I can't watch TV! We only get PBS, and out tv is fifty years old! Horray!
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:46 pm
Carmina says...

When I am really bored I will watch tv. Usually it is something sci-fi. Still, even though I am currently an unemployed loser, I only watch about an hour or two a day. As for giving up the internet, that would be much more challenging and (I dare say) less productive. Whereas the tv requires nothing of the viewer, the internet is much more interactive. This is how I keep in touch with friends and family who do not live close. It is much cheaper than the long distance phone bill I would otherwise have. Here I am encouraged to write and to read other people's stuff. This keeps my brain from atrophy. On the net I can share my hobbies like writing and photography. I don't see any reason to give it up. Unless you spend so much time on the net that you never speak to live people or leave your house, there is no problem.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:17 pm
Snoink says...

I'm starting to hate the TV. For dinner, we used to talk to each other as a family. Of course, we had time together otherwise, but I didn't think much of it. Now I'm at home for dinner (if that) and the only time I see my family is when they're all huddled around the TV. I wish I had someone to talk to...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain