z

Young Writers Society

NaNoWriMo

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:17 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

Any one else heard of this or involved in it? If not, it stands for National Novel Writing Month and it takes place in November. You "bash out a 50,000 word novel in one month," yes that IS 30 days for 50K. They have an awesome website where you can join and submit you story for counting and winner confirmation. The only restrictions are that no prose can be written before November and it has to be fiction. Check it out!http://www.nanowrimo.com

(If this is the wrong place it can be moved.)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:35 pm
Kaggsy says...

Yeah, I've seen that site, it looks pretty cool. I may sign up soon and see how far I can get.
available

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:41 pm
Areida says...

A few months ago I asked for a reminder when sign up time came, but now I don't know if I'll have time to do it. :(
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:15 pm
Sam says...

Yeah, I've been to the site before...sounds fun. I need an Hourglass break...perfect excuse...:P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:48 am
Elelel says...

Looks interesting. May join, may not.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:11 am
Crysi says...

One of my friends mentioned it tonight. In one of my insane spur-of-the-moment moods, I decided to sign up for it.

I don't have time for it. At all. But I'm doing it anyway. :D
Love and Light

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:49 am
sabradan says...

Don't really have time, but I joined anyway...
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:23 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

Yeah if you get the dude's book "No Plot? No Problem!" it has a section showing you how to make time for yourself. It's a really helpful book I highly suggest getting it if you're into this. But the general gist of the "Time Finder" is catagorize your day into REQUIRED, HIGHLY DESIRED, and FORGO-ABLE. The required things would be like going to school, eating, sleeping, etc. Highldy desired is pretty self explanitory, and then forgo-able items would be like internet surfing, small socialization, chatting in chat rooms, etc. Read some of the forums too, they give good tips on time managment and other problems. For those of you who signed up, feel free to PM me. My username is the same as this one. Good luck to all!
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Oooo... that looks fun... but I don't have an idea for anything that I'm not already working on... and since you can't have anything writtten yet... *sighs*

maybe I'll just set a challange for myself... *goes off to see just how possible it would be for her to finish her current book by November 30th* Ooo... quite possible...
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 pm
Beethoven says...

Since I have too many projects going on, I have decided to forgo NaNoWriMo the past two years. But, instead of doing it with NaNoWriMo, this April I decided to do my own. I chose a goal of 25,000 words in that month, and I worked on my current novel, which I decided to start over. That worked really well for me. I'll probably do that again, instead of actually joining.

But good luck to those of you who signed up!
Your existence is overbearing.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:48 am
Nate says...

Wow, thanks for bringing this up Yoha :D I heard about it once before, but never remembered it.

This would be something cool to tie into YWS in some fashion. Maybe make members' novels downloadable in pdf format from off of YWS?

594 Reviews

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:02 am
Crysi says...

Maybe... I'm still iffy about the whole publishing deal, though - you know, the warning about not putting your stories online because publishers won't want to publish them? Yeah.

I do think it would be fun to tie in YWS though. Maybe we could hold our own competition. It could be a little more lenient, and a few trusted people (depending on how many people participate) could do the whole wordcount thing by copying the stories into Word to verify it. *shrugs*
Love and Light

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:29 am
Cicero says...

Crysi - Writing written at that pace is bound to be pretty craptastic. I doubt anyone would steal it. I did it a few years ago. Good times. I think I may do it again. What are y'all's ideas for your "novels"?
"Artichoke -
O heart weighed down by so many wings."
- Joseph Hutchison

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:36 am
Snoink says...

Hehehe!

My idea?

A man interviews a lunatic and finds out about the "truth" about God from the lunatic. Apparently, instead of sending people to Hell, God simply allows them to choose their own fate by letting them live through what they imagine life after death to be. The lunatic, who has believed in reincarnation for thousands of years, has finally cracked and tells the interviewer about the fates of others who have died and are now living in their own premeditated Hell.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

594 Reviews

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:45 am
Crysi says...

Cicero, I'm not worried about anyone stealing it. It's just a publisher thing dealing with the rights and stuff.

Snoink, that's a cool idea.

I'm either going to work on the second book in my trilogy (pretty dangerous idea) or come up with a new idea and start planning ASAP - I have a few lined up.
Love and Light

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe