z

Young Writers Society

Unecessary

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:30 pm
Chevy says...

Dear Fellow YWSers,

I don't know if I should be doing this but I have to come to realize this, and it is very sad.

A few minutes ago I decided to go back about 10 pages in the Dramatic Section and I looked at the number of replies every piece of work received. Almost every one had at least 5-9 replies. However, everything in the Lounge and Randomness Section range from at least 10 posts to 1299. Have we, people forgotten about the Literary Forums of the site? I must admit, I have been guilty of it myself, posting ten times more where it's easier to just chat about the person above me or what I'm wearing at the moment. The randomness section and the lounge (even the debate section) has truly helped us to communicate with other YWS members and just have a good time but please, I know I'm not an admin or anything...don't forgot about the Literary Forums...it shouldn't be six pieces of work in a row with 0 replies and 9 views.

-Chevy
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:58 pm
Sam says...

That's true. I'm kind of in a creative slump right now, so I usually critique a little each day. But since I don't know half the people here now...I just critique new-new people's stuff and the people who read Hourglass (cheap, yes I am :P).

But you should have to critique a piece before you post ten million times in the randomness forum- at least I think so.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:38 am
Mattie says...

I agree as well. I just posted two new short stories in Romantic Fiction. I've gotten five total replies on one, tons of views. All of which didn't exactly help me although I did appreciate it. As for the other one, no critiques what so ever. Tons of replies, but nothing more. I have done my share of critiquing in the past, and have always still gotten few critiques even when I posted more critiques then stories. Yet, what I don't think is fair, is that most of the time, older members get much more critiques then new members. Which I think is a bad example of us not accepting change. We need to get out of the grooves we have set and start putting more effort into the new members so that they will stay. If we're not helping them, then what do we have to show for it? A bunch of "old" members who have stuck with this site through thick and thin yet get all of the critiques? Or the new members who probably have a lot to contribute, but we won't give them the chance? I think we need to put a lot of consideration into how we treat our posts as well as what we say so that we'll be benefiting everyone, not justs the select few and ourselves.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:46 am
Sam says...

A lot of people are prolly cheap like me and only read people's things who have been reading their stuff...:P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:19 am
Crysi says...

I admit it - I generally read the work of authors I enjoy. However, that's only because I have limited time on here. When I have more time, I go into genres I enjoy, and then just poke around with new stuff.

Don't worry guys - a few of us are thinking of ways to increase the amount of critiques. :)
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:24 am
Snoink says...

Eh...

It takes a lot of effort writing a critique, and if you're not certain how someone will react to a critique, it's better to avoid them entirely. *shrugs* The best way to find out how someone likes a critique is by reading a critique by them.

Yeah...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:33 am
Emma says...

Snoink, you're great at critiquing and I would love it if you could critique mine. *big puppy dog eyes*

You should critique more Snoink, you're really helping people - its great. If only me and other people were as good as you. I even read that thing on critiquing but I'm still rubbish.

I might read and comment on some now.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:54 am
Elelel says...

I usually try to critique stuff in the fantasy fiction area (I have to compete for the computer so I don't have time for lots) but lately I've had a touch of writer's block, and it's influenced my wil to critique. I really do need to critique things, it'll probably help the writer's block, but I just can't bring myself to. I'll work on it ...

Anyway, I usually pick things to critique by what title or author sparks my interest as I scroll down the list. Somtimes I pick something instantly if the piece has no critiques already. But basically all of that is when there's no writer's block ... I swear I will kill that writer's block either this week or next week. THE BLOCK MUST DIE!!!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues