z

Young Writers Society

I have a job! Well, three jobs

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:26 pm
Nate says...

Ever since I came back from my job as waterfront director at a boy scout camp this past summer, I've been looking for a job. For the first two weeks, nothing seemed promising; I sent in resumes, called a few places, but nothing. Then all of a sudden, in this past week, I get offered ten different jobs!

The one I accepted is an internship with Congressman Darrell Issa (R - CA). It doesn't pay anything, but, unlike many of the others that I was offered and which did pay something, it will most likely lead to a very good paying job come this winter. Plus, Issa is on the International Relations Committee, and the Judiciary Committee, so I recommendation from him for when I go to law school will look very good.

On top of that, though, I'm going to be doing econometrics contract work for Gartner Group at about $30 an hour for five hours a week from my home. Then I'm also going to be the designated troop instructor for my boy scout troop, meaning that I get to be the one who teaches all the scouts outdoor skills. And on top of all that, I'm looking into volunteering at the National Children's Hospital in DC. Not sure if I'll do that anymore though since I now will have pretty much no time free except for three weekends a month.

But to make things very nice... I plan on going to law school in about two years, and I want to go to a very good law school. As it happens, John Roberts, who is up for nomination to be Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, goes to my church. To get to know him, I'm inviting him to speak at one of our boy scout meetings for law merit badge. I'm hoping that I'll eventually be able to secure a recommendation from him, which would be incredibly useful for getting into a good law school.

Anyways... that's my life right now. I'm just very happy to finally have something to do since I've been bored to death over the past few weeks :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:12 pm
sabradan says...

AWESOME. Remember, its not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

I don't know if any of you know who David Horowitz is, but he is the editor/publisher of the English language Israeli magazine "Jerusalem Report" and I met him last time I was in Jerusalem. Hopefully in a few years (when I go back for a year before graduating) I could talk to him some more to secure a job/internship/whatever at his magazine.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:12 am
Snoink says...

:shock:

This is way too much. Nate? Being an intern for a politician? Awesome! I would so totally elect you, Nate.

And OMG, you met David Horowitz? AWESOME!

Wow...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:20 am
Sam says...

*giggles like a fourth grader*

It's...JUDGE CUTIE!

Ah, geez, I can't hear that name without laughing. You should ask him what it's like to have an entire skit on the Daily Show about yourself. :P

Hehe, just kidding.

THAT ROCKS!

You have to keep us posted...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:43 am
sabradan says...

Snoink wrote::shock:

This is way too much. Nate? Being an intern for a politician? Awesome! I would so totally elect you, Nate.

And OMG, you met David Horowitz? AWESOME!

Wow...

Yea I did, and he signed a copy of his latest book for me.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:30 pm
Rei says...

I would totally vote for you, too!

But that just seems like way too much.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

The blood jet is poetry and there is no stopping it.
— Sylvia Plath