z

Young Writers Society

I'm tired...

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:45 pm
BlueStone says...

Hmmmm... Something has been bugging me for awhile. The need to use profanity upon a writer's board. Even if it is only 'wtf' or sh!t. Writers, as in us, represent the class of proper liberal arts. Why must we use language that represents what you trully wish to get away from? Sure, it's fine if it goes into our writing, but using those terms in common tongue to communicate is rather disgusting. Writing those terms in common communication is just the same, if not worse. We will be able to have proof of your foul habits. You are authors and writers, now represent that crowd!

~BS

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 pm
Duskglimmer says...

On some level, I agree with you.

Profanity, is simply not that discriptive. I would think that has writers, would could come up with better words for whatever it is that we're trying to say.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I really do not swear to much. But if I do it will be in my writing to show a strong feeling. Like in my jurnals when I was writing about my father I will use strong words like that to get my feelings out but un everday use I do not really approve that kind of words

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:50 pm
Ego says...

Profanity doesn't exist--it's a conspiracy thought up by the CIA and MI6 to dominate the world.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

447 Reviews

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:51 pm
Duskglimmer says...

*blinks* okay... you lost me... run that one by me again
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:52 pm
Ego says...

What is profanity--what makes it profain?
Got YWS? I do.

447 Reviews

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:54 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Okay... if we want to work on defining the terms "profane" and "profanity", then I suppose we could...

But I think the point of this thread is to question the use of certain words that most people know as "profanity".
Boo. SPEW is watching.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 pm
Ego says...

lol okay then--just making a point.

I don't need to use profanity, it just adds an extra punch to your phrases.
Got YWS? I do.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:02 pm
Crysi says...

For once I agree with BS. Shocking. Although he's not completely innocent of it.. :P

I do need to clean up my language. I'm starting to fall back on curse words to express how upset I am or just how cold it is or whatever, and I don't need to do that. As a writer I should be able to come up with words that not only better express my feelings but also look better on the page.

I think this is a very interesting challenge to us all.
Love and Light

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:24 pm
BlueStone says...

Us all?! I am too innocent. Find me proof! I know you will, but it creates more work for you. And I love you working on a case to humilate me. If you back out on this one, you HAVE disappointed me. Simple as going through all my posts in my profile.

Crysi wrote:I'm starting to fall back on curse words to express how upset I am or just how cold it is or whatever, and I don't need to do that. As a writer I should be able to come up with words that not only better express my feelings but also look better on the page.

Oh, I thought it was because you missed me in my covers so much. ;)

Anyways! Sorry about that folks! This is random board after all. I think of using those words in writing of diaries and other creative writing is fine. But to use them in just the common tongue is a low blow to your own belt. Not only do adults look down on it, but it just doesn't have class. Oh! And it's not chivalrous.

~BS

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:49 pm
Rei says...

Hey, sometimes those words just work. Besides, if you're writing a first-person narrative, or even a third-person in some cases, if the characters talk that way, why not use them? We want to portray characters a reader will believe, so using swearing in the correct place isn't a bad thing. Just make sure it really is the correct word to use and not swearing for the sake of swearing.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

594 Reviews

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:52 pm
Crysi says...

:roll: You wish darling, you wish.

Ah man! I'm not the ass I really am... Hmph!

What the hell is wrong with you?!

What was degrading about my post? Surely you don't mean my a$$ness.

Hunter has Crysi, Mesh is in agreement, El has turned me down again, Aniar is an ass (whoops!), duel?, El calls for an act of non-aggression, and some more stuff.

Etc, etc. Would you like me to continue, O Not-So-Innocent One? :P
Love and Light

594 Reviews

Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:53 pm
Crysi says...

Reichieru wrote:Hey, sometimes those words just work. Besides, if you're writing a first-person narrative, or even a third-person in some cases, if the characters talk that way, why not use them? We want to portray characters a reader will believe, so using swearing in the correct place isn't a bad thing. Just make sure it really is the correct word to use and not swearing for the sake of swearing.

Rei, he just said that it's fine when you're using it in creative writing. But in common chatter like in the Lounge and Randomness areas, we should try to meet higher standards.
Love and Light

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:05 am
hekategirl says...

Hunter wrote:What is profanity--what makes it profain?

I was thinking about that the other day, why are 'Bad words' bad? their might be some old meaning them that is profain but they just seem like words to me. Like why is 'Darn!' ok to say and not 'Damn!' I don't know if that made any sense at all, sorry if it didn't it.
***Honorary 11-Year-Old***

Heh-COT-ee-GUR-el

Got YWS?

576 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:10 am
Ego says...

hekategirl wrote:I was thinking about that the other day, why are 'Bad words' bad? their might be some old meaning them that is profain but they just seem like words to me. Like why is 'Darn!' ok to say and not 'Damn!' I don't know if that made any sense at all, sorry if it didn't it.

That's my own point lol
Got YWS? I do.

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables