z

Young Writers Society

Evil Nursery Rhymes! !

Would you let a king's horse put you back together again?

NEVER!!
47%
Of course. I often fall off walls and allow King's horses to try to put me back together.
53%

Total votes : 15

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:51 pm
Muse says...

Right, Is it just me...or are nursery rhymes all a bit violent? Jack and Jill, Humpty Dumpty, Hushaby baby, Little bunny foo foo.....It's curazy. Can you think of any other violent, or scary songs/rhymes meant for children??

Ps, do you like my new avatar?!
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:59 pm
Firestarter says...

How is Humpty Dumpty violent? I though it was about a cannon that broke in the English Civil War in Bristol.

And I though Jack and Jill was just dirty rather than violent.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

176 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:12 pm
Muse says...

Humpty dumpty fell off a wall and died. He got all smooshed, and the horses and men tried their best, but the horses probably just made it worse.

Jack smashed his skull up, and Jill went rolling down the hill. Smooshed!!!
Last edited by Muse on Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:25 pm
Rei says...

You'd be surprized how much sex and violence there is in older stories and songs that today are generally meant for very sheltered children. I mean, Rapunzel's lover gets blinded, and the way Mother Gothel finds out is Rapunzel asking why her dress is getting a tight around her belly, not why Gothel is so much heavier than the prince. In older versions of Cinderella, the step-sisters chop off bits of their feet to fit into the slipper, a disturbing remnant of foot-binding in China. Sleeping Beauty was not awakened by a chaste kiss in the older Italian version, but rather after giving birth to, and suckling twins that the prince impregnated her with while in her enchanted sleep.

Remember there was a time when kids weren't sheltered from this stuff, twleve-year-olds were old enough to go into battle, and fairy tales were not meanth just for children. Heck, the version of Cinderella we're most familar with was written for French aristochracy.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:31 pm
Firestarter says...

Humpty dumpty fell off a wall and died. He got all smooshed, and the horses and men tried their best but the horses probably just made it worse.

Jack smashed his skull up, and Jill went rolling down the hill. Smooshed.

Yeh, but they're not actually about violence. HUmpty Dumpty was just a cannon, as already stated.

I was told Jack and Jill was about sex. (Edit: it is about beheading)

But ooh...I guess they're still inappropiate for chldren.
Last edited by Firestarter on Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

176 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:36 pm
Muse says...

How are children supposed to know that Humpty Dumpty was a cannon? He was always a giant egg who got smooshed. Oh, and he wore trousers and a hat... I used to think Jack broke his hat, when i was little..I didn't realise crown meant cranium.. :oops:

I think Jack and Jill is about King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette, who were beheaded. Isn't it?
Last edited by Muse on Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:39 pm
Firestarter says...

Yeh, but have you ever met a child that is disturbed by Humpty Dumpty or Jack and Jill?

176 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:48 pm
Muse says...

No...but what if is has some subconscious effect and children start pushing people off walls....y'never know. Oh and Three blind mice is pretty bad too.

"Who cut off their tails with a carving knife" Oo-er.

685 Reviews

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:05 am
Rei says...

Reading about violence doesn't make people violent. You should meet my grandmothers. They are the kindest, sweetest, most gentle woman in the world, and she's been into grusome murder mysteries ever since she could read them. They also read all those violent fairy tales and nursery rhymes as small children.

I love a goodly amount of violence in my books, but I'm a pacifist. My grandmothers and I may be exceptional in many ways, but we are not in how reading about violence effects people.

Besides, in Humpty Dumpty, they aren't able to put him back together again. As long as you teach kids to be compassionate, I would think that it is a lesson against violence. But in reality, it's about carelessness, because nobody pushed him. He just fell.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:23 am
Sam says...

Ring around the rosie
a pocketful of posies,
ashes, ashes
WE ALL FALL DOWN!

Bubonic plague in summary...exactly my point.

(and Reichieru- I agree with you wholly. Example- according to records, Mary would have been 12!!!!!!!!!!!! when/if pregnant with Christ)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:08 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Mooz-what's little bunny foo foo? And cool avatar, btw :P
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:43 am
Liz says...

You know the "ring around the rosy" one? It was originally sung about the plague. "A-tishoo, a-tishoo, we all fall down?" Great. :)
purple sneakers

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:11 pm
Elizabeth says...

Well I suppose the older the get the more you get into it.

Atshioo? I thought it was Ashes...

Nursery rhymes make lies of everything but don't let the children know that... they'll become very scared.... I think they put violence in there because they want to children to think violence is humouros (which it is SOMETIMES)...

685 Reviews

Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:12 pm
Rei says...

Yep, and Juliet was thirteen when she married Romeo. Also, if you'll recall, there is a scene in that play where Juliet's mother points out that there are many girls her age who are already mothers.

How does Little Rabbit Foo Foo go again?

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:18 pm
Liz says...

The Black Rose wrote:Well I suppose the older the get the more you get into it.

Atshioo? I thought it was Ashes...

Nah, "atishoo" as in sneezing...it's very sadistic.
purple sneakers

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown