z

Young Writers Society

POST MORE MATERIAL/CRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 20, 2005 3:54 pm
Snoink says...

Kay Kay wrote:On the "I will if you will" was just me being silly.

But it's understandable. Everyone's work is starting to get ignored, so if you do something for them, you would hope that they would critique your own work. I know that when I look to critique something, I look at their name and try to figure, "What have they done for me?"

Does this sound selfish? Yes. But at the same time, when a guy or gal critiques my work, I have a better insight how they would like me to critique them and can better serve them. If they focus solely on my dialogue but not my plot (assuming that the plot is flawed and I want help in it) I will look at their plot more, so that we can exchange our strengths and strengthen our weaknesses.

Which is why I loathe comments like, "OMG! ThIs ThE mOsT wOnDeRfUl WoRk EvEr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri May 20, 2005 4:00 pm
Rei says...

Snoink, so what if you get blasted? Maybe you shouldn't give such extensive critiques. A lot of us can't really handle them, but you give great suggestions and should continue to do so.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Sat May 21, 2005 10:16 pm
ohhewwo says...

BlueStone wrote:Plus, this site is too big to make a differance. I for one tried to make a Editors Usergroup, but I failed in the process.

Yeah, well not many have succeeded in making any kind of usergroup.
"The only difference between me and a mad man is that I am not mad."
-Salvador Dali, surrealist

148 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2005 10:18 pm
ohhewwo says...

Snoink wrote:Which is why I loathe comments like, "OMG! ThIs ThE mOsT wOnDeRfUl WoRk EvEr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL! ThAt'S fUnNy!!! :wink:

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat May 21, 2005 10:23 pm
Crysi says...

But there WAS a usergroup, which was his point. I agree, this site is just getting too big. A full editing job for me takes at least an entire day. I'm not going to do that for every piece posted, and I feel like I'm not doing my job if I just say something vague like, "Yeah, it was pretty good. Just watch your dialogue a little more."

You know what we need? We need a group of people who would be willing to do full editing jobs. But there would have to be a waiting list and a limit of people who could submit stuff. They could also request certain people to edit. I'd be willing to do it, if anyone else will. Ok, so that's kind of what BS had going there.. Hmm, would you like to try to start it back up again?

I also agree with the "I will if you will" thing. If you took the time to actually look at my story, I'll do the same back to you. It's only fair. Now, I don't expect people to run to my (old) works just because I looked at theirs. Like I said, I'm not very thorough when commenting on here. But it's only fair to repay those who took some time out of their day to critique my stuff.

BS.. Yes, you are an excellent editor. Very picky, but very valuable. You did full edits, like I do. I hope I was as thorough on yours as you were on mine. ;)
Love and Light

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun May 22, 2005 12:57 am
Meshugenah says...

that is what we had going. I just don't have time to do a full edit all the time (but I love editing, so it's a wonderful conundrum), and then send it, too, mostly becuase for a full edit, I have to pront something out, go over it a few times, and then type it up and post/send it.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun May 22, 2005 2:16 am
Sam says...

What I hate is that some members, when posting their works (not to point fingers, but...IT'S ALL BRAD'S FAULT! teehee) get like 10 critiques. People like me get like 3...and mostly through IOU's. That's not the way it should work!

Though is it hypocrisy if I say I only crit stories (NO FANTASY!) because I can't stand either fantasy or poetry? But I believe I give an ample amount of critiques to support my case. :wink:
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon May 23, 2005 4:08 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

It's been kind of slow lately, school is getting out, finals are coming up, vacations and summer are quickly aproaching. Don't worry, activity will build up again in a little while.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon May 23, 2005 4:18 am
BlueStone says...

Crysi wrote:But there WAS a usergroup, which was his point. I agree, this site is just getting too big. A full editing job for me takes at least an entire day. I'm not going to do that for every piece posted, and I feel like I'm not doing my job if I just say something vague like, "Yeah, it was pretty good. Just watch your dialogue a little more."

You know what we need? We need a group of people who would be willing to do full editing jobs. But there would have to be a waiting list and a limit of people who could submit stuff. They could also request certain people to edit. I'd be willing to do it, if anyone else will. Ok, so that's kind of what BS had going there.. Hmm, would you like to try to start it back up again?

I also agree with the "I will if you will" thing. If you took the time to actually look at my story, I'll do the same back to you. It's only fair. Now, I don't expect people to run to my (old) works just because I looked at theirs. Like I said, I'm not very thorough when commenting on here. But it's only fair to repay those who took some time out of their day to critique my stuff.

BS.. Yes, you are an excellent editor. Very picky, but very valuable. You did full edits, like I do. I hope I was as thorough on yours as you were on mine. ;)

*sigh* Just can't get enough of me ehh?

Well, I might get more time after school ends... I will try and see what I can do. Valuable? The most I got was "you're an ass!". :? Fine, fine, fine... Moving along.
Crysi wrote:I hope I was as thorough on yours as you were on mine.
What kind of thoroughness are we talking about?! :shock: :twisted: Okay, okay. I need to cut the jokes and get more serious! *puts on serious face* Can you growl for me. *tries desperately to hold face*

~BS

Random avatar

Mon May 23, 2005 4:19 am
BlueStone says...

Sam wrote:IT'S ALL BRAD'S FAULT!

I second that.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon May 23, 2005 4:41 am
Crysi says...

*sigh* BS.. lol, you never stop, do you?

We're talking about when you were ZZAP, dear. I didn't call you an ass then. ;)
Love and Light

Random avatar

Mon May 23, 2005 3:22 pm
BlueStone says...

You wish for someone that isn't there... I can't be two people for you. *sigh* I feel us splitting apart... *cries* After all I worked to create, my time is running low. Quickly, just say, "Yes". :twisted:

*cough* That's the soap opera I'm working on. So. Editing, yea. I'm good at it. *cough* If you have any corrections you wish for someone 'good' to edit just PM me. As I don't go running around to correct peoples' work. Too time consuming. Just ask Crysi over here, she happens to have time for EVERYONE. :D But doesn't have time to pick the real me to hibernate with. *shakes head* That's a couple points lost yourself hon.

1) You seem confused. Minus one point
2) Wishing for the impossible. Minus another.
3) Lack of "yes's" in our conversation. Minus another.
4) For yelling at me all those times. -10 *points to heart* Right here love, right here.
5) Me calling you a whore. Minus 10 on my part
6) I'm winning. Another 5 points for me

~BS

148 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2005 6:42 pm
ohhewwo says...

Crysi wrote: I agree, this site is just getting too big.

Yeah, I miss the old days, when there were just, like a few hundred people.

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Mon May 23, 2005 6:45 pm
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

to make you people happy im gonna post a story as soon as i get it typed......
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon May 23, 2005 7:03 pm
DarkerSarah says...

I usually only critique stories I can get through and don't bore me to death. I try to give good critiques, but often, I don't have the time or patience to do so. I don't critique poetry because I can't write poetry, and poetry is so personal it's hard to critique. Usually my comments consist of: I liked this line....

Eh...I guess I'm not really active on this site anyway.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

Journeys end in lovers' meeting.
— William Shakespeare