z

Young Writers Society

POST MORE MATERIAL/CRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Wed May 18, 2005 11:39 pm
ohhewwo says...

In the olden days, when ever I clicked on the the button that says "Read unanswered posts," there would ussually be about five or six new pieces I could choose from. Nowadays, one or two every two or three days!!!!!

It bothers me when people come to YWS just to chat. We all need to post and critique more. Keep in mind that those four little words up in the corner of your screen while you're typing a post in the Lounge says "The Young Writers Society."

I used to be able to sit down for about two hours, depending on the lengths of poems and stories, and post only crit. Now? Ten minutes, tops.

:x :evil: POST AND CRIT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :x
"The only difference between me and a mad man is that I am not mad."
-Salvador Dali, surrealist

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed May 18, 2005 11:45 pm
niteowl says...

There have been many threads like this, but most of them complain about how they NEVER get reviews on their stories. I think you stated your case brilliantly. I myself am guilty of mainly posting here and on the Lounge. I haven't posted a poem here in ages! And I've only critted a couple of times. Today st school, marching_gurl89 asked why I haven't reviewed her poem. My response: "You posted a poem?" Yes, I am indeed sad.

Also, there's no way you could have reviewed EVERYTHING on the site. Try going through random people's portfolios. You could find something really cool that didn't get a lot of reviews. Or something that did when it first was posted but was buried by the new stuff. Most of my works fall under these categories.

Random avatar

Reviews: 333
Thu May 19, 2005 12:09 am
emotion_less says...

Well, it's not good to over-post, either, like having 6 poems/stories in the same day. Also, lots of people only get 1 or 2 reviews. That's all right, I suppose, but I personally don't think that's enough to get a thorough critique.

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Thu May 19, 2005 1:06 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

tons of people come here to chat, i am partially guilty, i chat alot, and i crit when there are stories, latly i havent been able to crit most things cuz they were to long and i had to do homework so i just resorted to chatting...... but yeah people need to crit more

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu May 19, 2005 3:03 pm
Sureal says...

I post up one of my old pieces ever now and then. But now I've run out of old pieces and actually have to write a new one...
SHOCK HORROR!
I wrote the above just for you.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu May 19, 2005 6:44 pm
Kay Kay says...

I'm guilty of just chatting as well. Sorry. I would post some of my work to get critted but unfortunatly I've had writers block ever since I finished my last story which was Love is Only the Beginning, which ended like in mid April. It is driving me crazy. Sure I have ideas but once I get started on something, by the end of the first chapter or prologue...well, it's a dud. *Sighs*

I do agree though that people should crit more...I will if you will.
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu May 19, 2005 7:39 pm
Rei says...

The "I will if you will" things is a bit silly, I think. If you want it done do it yourself.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Fri May 20, 2005 12:23 am
ohhewwo says...

"I will if you will?"

I don't recall saying that, and if that can be interpreted from my little soapbox drama, then I didn't mean that. The point is, I'm just tired of coming here and seeing such little work.

And I do do it myself. I crit when I can. Sorry that I can't do crit to account for 415 members. My bad, I guess!
"The only difference between me and a mad man is that I am not mad."
-Salvador Dali, surrealist

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri May 20, 2005 12:28 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

thought I'd add my two cents worth...

I have finally realized that my nirvana, the thing I do best when critiquing, is to do a proper crit, which is to take a piece put it in my computer, then print and edit it as if I was editing a piece of my own work. that takes time, so if anyone out there want me to do this with one of their pieces pm me. but right now I have a few which I am in the process of scanning in my computer.

about critiquing, some people like it some don't. but eh...c'est la vie.

if any of that made sense to you I appalaud you. oh and I can't type and spell properly at the same time either. just to let you all know.

cheers CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri May 20, 2005 12:40 am
Crysi says...

I do the same. For critiques, I look it over and comment more on structure and storyline. If someone actually wants me to edit, however, then I print out the story (with their permission), take my (in)famous blue pen to it, mark it up, then transfer the marks onto a word document of their story. Then they get it. I can take up a few days editing, but I enjoy it immensely.

However, most days I come home, just have time to chat a bit with people, then I have to do my hw. Won't be much easier in the summer with a job, etc.
Love and Light

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri May 20, 2005 2:03 am
BlueStone says...

Why don't I edit anymore... Because people don't appreciate it. Plus, this site is too big to make a differance. I for one tried to make a Editors Usergroup, but I failed in the process. Too much work. I'm really known for my corrections, or was. Just ask someone who has actually been around. Let's see, Crysi, when I was the mysterious editor she came to me in a flash, and probably fell in love with me. But! Yea, no time and little responses... Sorry buddy. Writers?! Coming here or not does not make you a writer... I'm one myself but I haven't posted stuff. Mainly because I don't trust people and when you sumbit stuff to contests and publishers they have rights to it, not the boards.

~BS

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 20, 2005 2:36 am
Snoink says...

If I do really criticize a piece and offer lots of suggestions, I get blasted for it. So I look at grammar and critique it. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm
Writersdomain says...

I have to say that I do feel the ohhewwo does sometimes, but I know I'm not doing my exact share of criticizing anyway.
The thing that bugs me is that people encourage you to edit your work on the site, but then they never comment on it after it's edited. That really, really aggravates me!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri May 20, 2005 12:28 pm
uniaeca says...

I'm trying, I'm trying! :P

But I don't post any work anymore coz I tend to hate it being critiqued. I really need to face up to it though.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri May 20, 2005 2:56 pm
Kay Kay says...

On the "I will if you will" was just me being silly.
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust