z

Young Writers Society

Floods in St. Louis, MO

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:30 am
Emerson says...

I'm not sure how much national coverage this is getting, but St. Louis is being flooded to historical points. The last big flood we had was in '93, and I wasn't here then, so it is strange to see how high the waters are. These pictures are of the Merrimack River in my town. The bridge in some of the later pictures is actually a common road in the town. I'm wondering if my school will flood. The waters are not supposed to go down until next weekend--and it might rain during the week?

It's probably hard to imagine it without an idea of what it was like before...I'll have more pictures tomorrow. These are all from my father. Mine are on my cell phone, which I left at my mother's puppy store. The post office in one place is all under water. I have a picture of it!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:39 am
gyrfalcon says...

Meh! I do remember '93, vaguely. I remember the water being all the way up those steps at the Arch...good time to be at college, sa? Try to stay dry!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:42 am
JFW1415 says...

Jeez; that looks bad. This is the first year I've had flooding around me, and it was only a bit in the garage. O.o

Sorry about your floods! Stay on high land. :P

~JFW1415

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:26 am
Cade says...

Ooh, yeah, I heard about those, and I thought of you, Suzie! On the bright side, if your school flooded, you would not have to go to school...

My school flooded once, but not very much. It wasn't like an official flood or anything, just a very, very rainy day. It was homecoming weekend. Kids who had lockers on the first floor (which is actually below ground level) weren't allowed to go down there. They had a whole spread about it in the yearbook that year with pictures of people sloshing through the parking lot with water past their ankles. I remember I got my feet soaked just walking home from the bus. My jeans were wet up to the knees. Yuck.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:42 am
Emerson says...

You think I would like getting off of school--and I would--but not so much. We've had enough snow days. Please! No flood days.

And I found my phone? I guess I didn't leave it at the shop, haha. More pictures. (Smaller though... stupid things.)

This is out the back of the bank. My mom was going to do something...and the parking lot was filled with water. She had to pull into the exit of the drive through checking things.

“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:44 pm
Via says...

That's pretty tame to what it looks like around here right now. There have been mandatory evacuations from three rivers surrounding the city in the past week here from the melting of the 17" of snow and the three days of constant rain and none of them have crested yet. Lovely.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:27 am
Shafter says...

Funny, the river isn't very high up where I am (and I'm only a mile away). I remember '93 because we got trapped in our neighborhood! And, as my parents told me when I was older, we could've gotten killed in a flash flood when walking home on the Katy Trail. But for some reason, it's not as bad this year. Rain, rain, go away!
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana