z

Young Writers Society

Romeo and Juliet - English

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:39 pm
uniaeca says...

Okay time to admit it, but who has had to do Romeo and Juliet for English?

What character were you? I'm Romeo, my friend is Balthasar and the Apothecary. I get all the kuedo's from the teachers because I partner with her and she sort of has learning difficulties. We're doing the part where Romeo's in Mantua and Balthasar's just told him of Juliet's death. Very fun to act :D

So have you done it for English? How'd you act it? Or did you do a report or something?
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:29 pm
Zion says...

I had to only in macedonian but its the same here and there. Also Neverending Story (our ONLY REAL fantasy book) Ana Karenina and the Hunchback of nothredam
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:34 pm
Firestarter says...

Errr...we read it out in class. I think I was Tybalt.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:55 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I had to write an essay on it for coursework. I got a B :)
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:13 pm
Firestarter says...

For GCSE matt?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:39 pm
niteowl says...

I had it last year, the supposedly advanced class where we really didn't do anything. We just did some basic reading for most of it (I was the Nurse) but for act 3, we got into groups and we acted out the scenes our own way. Each scene was really different. We had Act 3 Scene 1 (the scene where Tybalt kills Mercutio then Romeo kills Tybalt) and we did it "D-town" style. We had graffiti backdrops, a paper van for the Capulet West Side drug dealers (they did hydraulics! It was funny), the Montagues (I was Benvolio) were Weest Side druggies, Prince was in the mafia, Romeo had really bad dandruff, the hobo forgot his only line, and we had a censor guy. We forgot all our lines. And my costume was just brilliant. It was a piece of paper that read "I am wearing a trashed shirt and ripped pants. I am male."

But the next scene was really funny because it was all guys and they started out with the play as written, but it eventually reverted to thumb wrestling.

Ok long ramble done. That was fun.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:54 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I had to write a GCSE essay on it for coursework, it was all about whose fault it was that Romeo and Juliet died. My idea wasn't allowed (Shakespeare - well he wrote the damn thing!)

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:09 pm
Muse says...

I was Lady Capulet for a while, Juliet for a bit And Mercutio when he died. muhahaha. I loved it.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:36 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

*Chuckles at what DM said*

Jack-yeah, for GCSE. It was something to do with Tybalt and Romeo being contrasting characters...foils for each other, or something.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:45 pm
Firestarter says...

Ooh I got an A* for my Romeo and Juliet GCSE coursework. My question was about love and death in the play. Pretty easy.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:02 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

we read in a circle, no one was the same part for more than two days. We read Macbeth and i played macbeth, and i read it with a scottish accent, but there was a lot of reading, so i kind of got stuck with the accent for the rest of the day.... it got annoying. especially in my next class which was discussion oriented.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:22 pm
Galatea says...

The Never Ending Story rocks my socks off. The book, not the crappy movies.

I read Romeo and Juliet in the ninth grade...?? I don't remember. I had already read it by then. I think I got my first copy of the text in 6th grade. I have 8 different editions of that play alone. I wrote my college entrance essay on Romeo and Juliet and how I hoared Shakespearian plays.

I played Juliet in a professional production a few years ago...it's a part I would love to pursue again. I think that was the most fun I've ever had in any production.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:04 pm
Crysi says...

OMG that was so much fun. I was Mercutio a few times and Benvolio another few times. We always at least read out plays.. But for that one, we actually had to go up and act it out. It was hilarious.

Now we're doing Macbeth.. I was just Macduff today. I had some pretty lengthy lines.. But my favorite line ever was "Not in the legions of horrid hell can come a devil more damned in evils to top Macbeth." That line kicks major booty. :)
Love and Light

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:02 am
uniaeca says...

I wanted to be Benvolio but no one wanted to go with me.... :(
Oh I almost forgot.... Me and my friends are doing a part of Macbeth for Drama. We're working with masks so we chose to do a make up mask. Luckily my friends are good at art. :D I'm playing witch 1.
One of our friends is actually called Beth, and she's playing Macbeth so we kind of got side tracked with McDonald jokes... all good fun in year 10.
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice