z

Young Writers Society

A Cancer Survivors Story

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm
AmyN says...

In November 2004, 16 year old Amy Wesley’s life was forever changed by three words, “You have cancer”.
Amy played basketball. She made the honor roll semester after semester. She was charming and charismatic with a smile that could light up a room. She ate right and took pretty good care of herself.
Yet she had cancer, stage 4 Large Cell B-Cell Lymphoma.
“There was a tumor pressing against my spine, she says. One in my left arm which snapped in half from the pressure. One in my hip, my leg, and my kidney too. “
In March of 2005, Amy was declared cancer free but still continued to undergo intensive rounds of chemotherapy. Her treatments ended in July 2005.
“It was frustrating, she says, very frustrating.” “Sometimes it made me sick. I couldn’t get out of bed. I couldn’t do anything.”
Today the only visible signs of a daunting past is a scar on Amy’s chest and the bag of hair that she keeps inside her dresser drawer.
‘People think its weird that I kept the hair that I lost but its sentimental to me,” she says. “Hair is so annoying. I loved not having any.”
These days the budding young entrepreneur has reason to celebrate.
Her very first book, titled Mirror, Mirror is due for release February 4.
Mirror, Mirror is a collection of short stories which Amy wrote during the summer.
Her front stoop at her LA home was her biggest inspiration.
She would sit outside for hours at a time, watching the bustling city move around her all while churning out story after story.
From The Mirror, a story about a serial killer who calls his unsuspecting victim’s mirror home to Chocoholics Anonymous, a story about a chocolate addict forced to come to grips with her biggest fears the ideas just kept coming.
Publishing Mirror, Mirror wasn’t Amy’s first decision.
But it was her ultimate. Mirror, Mirror was accepted for publication in September by PublishAmerica, a small publishing company in Baltimore, Maryland.
It was printed verbatim without any editorial input.
Mirror, Mirror is on sale now! Visit www.amywesley.com for more information.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm
Emerson says...

Moved to randomness because it sure doesn't belong here...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye