z

Young Writers Society

Home page left side pannel?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 pm
Emerson says...

No, I'm not going to complain about the links being gone, and the ads being there. It's efficient! I never used the links. Except for one, which is why I am posting.

As far as I know, the only link to members list was there. Unless it has been moved somewhere else and I am too silly to find it...? I liked looking at them for certain things, but now it's gone...

Which isn't a complaint. I like how the site looks now!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:39 pm
Via says...

My links are still there :)

No adds for the chimps!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm
Nate says...

There's a link to the memberlist down at the bottom of every page.

In any case, just in case some complaints do arise, here's the reason for the change: Revenue.

Ever since May, money has been a problem, but it didn't become an acute problem until I had to transfer the site onto a dedicated server in late August. Since then, money has been very, very tight. Initially, that was alright, but now my personal finances are very tight as well.

So far, the change to the front page (only default thus far) has been good, revenue wise, although the YouTube video unit isn't producing any revenue (I'm going to wait a week before deciding for good, but thus far, it looks like the video unit is going to go away).

Even so, it looks likely there'll be a fundraising drive in March...

2058 Reviews

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 pm
Emerson says...

Oh! Thanks Nate :) I never look at the bottom of the page.

I knew why it was there (and I completely agree with it!) Out of curiousity, how is the YouTube vide unit supposed to raise revenue?

Fundraising drive...? eep. Hehe. I can have a bake sale! (seriously. XD)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 pm
Twit says...

Most unpleasant things have a purpose, I suppose. :roll:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:29 pm
Nate says...

Suzanne ->> When the YouTube thing is played, ads are displayed across the bottom. So far, it hasn't raised a dime and I'm doubtful it ever will. But it seemed interesting and I like interesting.

Twit ->> That's a very flippant reply, and rude. If I could run this site without ads, I would. As it is, I've spent thousands of dollars that I am likely to never see again on this site. If you think it's unpleasant, fine, but please don't be rude about it, and especially please do not add that emoticon.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:36 pm
Twit says...

Twit ->> That's a very flippant reply, and rude. If I could run this site without ads, I would. As it is, I've spent thousands of dollars that I am likely to never see again on this site. If you think it's unpleasant, fine, but please don't be rude about it, and especially please do not add that emoticon.

Gaw, sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I really appreciate all the effort you've put into making this site. I only meant that the YouTube video advert is rather big and will take some getting used to, but I see why it's here.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2058 Reviews

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm
Emerson says...

Suzanne ->> When the YouTube thing is played, ads are displayed across the bottom. So far, it hasn't raised a dime and I'm doubtful it ever will. But it seemed interesting and I like interesting.
I watched the video yesterday? XD For you I will watch the videos every day. ^_^

Perhaps you should encourage video watching. If you said it helped raise money for YWS I'm sure people would watch the videos.

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 pm
Nate says...

I understand Twit, but when critiquing changes to the site, please do so in a constructive manner. That way I can see where you're coming from, and possibly fix the issue. I can't do that when it's just a one sentence retort. Plus, I'm rather sensitive about these things, so it's just better for both of us :)

Like I said though, the video unit isn't likely to stay. It's interesting, and I like interesting, but unless it shows results, it's gonna go.

Suzanne ->> Unfortunately, revenue isn't earned just from watching the videos. If it was, that'd be awesome 'cause over 500 videos have been played thus far (and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet). Instead, you have to click on the ads that get displayed, and I don't really see anyone doing that.

2058 Reviews

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:55 pm
Emerson says...

:(

Ads are so difficult. They have to be clicked on, too! Bah. Silly advertising and money making. You should ask the Gov't to fund you. :P

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Video unit... Am I missing something? I don't see no video unit.

EDIT: *slaps head* I see it know. Kinda hard to miss, really. It looks cool, though!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)