z

Young Writers Society

Help! I need a name for...

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:40 am
Wolf says...

Okay, I really need a name for a race in my fantasy story.
I've tried 'Miokoda' but that sounds like a race of giant kitty-cats. Which isn't really what I want...:lol:

The people in the [need a name] race are immortal, and they interact closely with nature. They are not elves, though. There's no elves in my story.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:01 am
BigBadBear says...

Well, what I would do is throw a list together like this

- immortal

- interact

- nature

Ok. Now take a look at the letters. Make words out of them Find a cool word like : Mitual. Whoa..that was cool. Mitual...it's easy to spell..

That was fun!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

ooh, i like bear's idea. Mitual...nice ring to it.

When i'm looking for a name for something I just jumple a bunch of letters together until i create a word i like. or i take a word that i like and change the spelling. stuff like that.

hope that helps!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

When bumping together words, be careful of how they turn out, okay?

Mitual: "ritual". "Mutual". See, "mitual" sounds too much like both. It's like a poke in the eye for readers. XD

Try this generator or you could steal a foreign name from here, using the Random Name Generator or the Name Themes or just searching for words in the text description.

Hope this helped. ^_^
ohmeohmy

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 am
logosgal says...

Sometimes I use Scrabble letters to make up names/words. Or you could translate one or more of the species' characteristics into another language, and use the translation as a basis for the name. Babel Fish is good for that.
Home is where the books are.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:49 pm
StellaThomas says...

I use classical names, French and Irish jumbled together...

They're immortal, they live forever... so words live "Vie, vive," in French, or in Irish "Saol." Then forever... hm... I don't know the French but in Irish it's "go brath." Also, Then classical names... gods and goddesses? Nymphs, dryads? And in Celtic Myths the immortals etc. can be known as "The Good People..."

Or flowers and plants as well, if they're into nature. I'd tend to go towards something faerie-ish, or nymph-ish.

Or like me, play word association. If I think Nymph, I might think "Nymphadora Tonks", I might think "Auror," I might think "Aurora,", I might think "Borealis..." and then make up something like that :D.

That's how I do names :D
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 pm
Wolf says...

Thanks you guys! :D
I followed all of your suggestions, and I came up with 'Elkari'. Sounds a little like 'elk', but they are into nature, right? :wink:
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Sounds good. But might i suggest switching the k for a c (or double c depending on how you want ti to sound)? Unless you do want the relation to the elk's (which works fine since it is nature, like you said)...but that would seem deceptive if the race isn't elkish at all. =P
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:16 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

ooh..i like logosgal's Scrabble idea. i'll have to try that someday.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:42 am
MadHatter says...

Oh...I came to late. I'll suggest a name though: The MadHatterworshiperonians
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor