z

Young Writers Society

writing for the sake of using awesome words

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:17 am
Flemzo says...

This belongs in random just because I think it's the stupidest idea ever. I'm looking for an excuse to write a story just so I can use the words "glib" and "supercilious". My lit teacher uses those words all the time (along with "vacuous"), and now I've become hooked to the point where it bugs me that I can't throw one of those words in without it looking forced.

Has anyone else found themselves wanting to use a word, but finding no ideas where they can use it?

ALTERNATE QUESTION: is there a topic I can write about where I can use "glib" and/or "supercilious"?

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:26 am
Joeducktape says...

My mom and I have a running joke about the word "impervious", but it's almost never usable in basic conversation.

Also, it seems that I constantly say things to which people respond, "What? What does that mean?"
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:25 am
whence says...

Flemzo...if you're honestly writing a story just to use words you think are 'cool', don't bother posting it here. :p

But please, do enjoy saying the words aloud and in context when you're done :roll:
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

201 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 am
Flemzo says...

Don't worry, I use every opportunity I can to call someone "glib". It makes me titter, and the victim is left hunting for a dictionary.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 am
View Likes
Fireweed says...

*Hunts for dictionary*
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:50 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha, I do that all the time. I mean, Alvin Pinky is a prime example of that. And I don't know why I do it, but it's just so fun to use certain words! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:43 pm
logosgal says...

Mumpsimus!
That's one of my favorite words, but I've almost never gotten to use it in a conversation. :cry: I've used it in hangman, though. People almost never guess it, and when I tell them what the word is, they have to ask what it means. :lol:

Joeducktape wrote:I constantly say things to which people respond, "What? What does that mean?"

I seem to do that a lot, too. Sometimes it even happens when I use a word that I consider fairly common. *shruggs*

...Ooh! Whence! Are you saying that if Flemzo writes a story just to use those words and posts it on YWS, he'd be a mumpsimus??? (Yay! I got to use it! I got to say mumpsimus in a conversation!!! :P)
:elephant::elephant::elephant:

P.S. Flemzo, couldn't you create a character who often acts "glib" and/or "supercilious"?
Home is where the books are.

201 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:14 am
Flemzo says...

logosgal wrote:P.S. Flemzo, couldn't you create a character who often acts "glib" and/or "supercilious"?

I'm actually thinking of rewriting "The Face" (it's on here somewhere), and making the antagonist more supercilious than malicious.

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant