z

Young Writers Society

Dreamer's going to college!

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 pm
Dream Deep says...

*hugs*

[Brilliant] homeschoolers for the win, of course!

We're going to have to compare [s]evil prof comments[/s] grades when I get my first-semester scores in...

^_^

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 pm
LowKey says...

Sounds like a plan.
:)
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:51 pm
MadHatter says...

College at 14...wow...
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

245 Reviews

Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:24 pm
LowKey says...

Break's over!

All my classes are online again, due to the inconvenience of a not-California winter.

Classes:

English
Sociology
Introduction to Micro Computers
Keyboarding (I still need the credit.)

Intro to Mic. Comp. requires MS Word 2007, which, to be honest, sucks. They went backwards. I think there might be a way to avoid it, but if not, this class'll be a bit more than I bargained for. Seeing as I only have two academic classes this quarter, though, adding a third one where I have to work shouldn't put me under the water by to much.

My Sociology Teacher is a night owl that tells bar jokes and my English teacher is a sci-fi addict who loves David Bowie and likes Looney Tunes. :D Another quarter of good teachers.

In addition to the good teachers, two of my four classes have a chat feature. ^.^ This means that Mom's less likely to have to drive on the icy roads to take me to a study group, as we can do it over the chat. :D

^.^

Dreamer
Last edited by LowKey on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:05 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Congrats to you! There's nothing like an academic victory. It just feels good.

I'm starting at a community college in a few days.

When you're 16 or so you should look around for some on-campus opportunities. It's great experience.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:12 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

AWESOME! congratulations! i'm going to college in the fall too, but i'll be 18, so i guess it's not as cool.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:31 pm
Stori says...

Wow, congrats to you Dreamer. Funny, but I was homeschooled until fourth too!
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:34 pm
[deleted1] says...

Omg that's sooo awesome!! I wish you the best of luck in college. What college are you attending?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 pm
StellaThomas says...

:o Wow. That's all I can say... You must be a like, super-genius.

If you don't mind me asking, do you not find it really weird being there with a load of older students? I know I would...

You know before I came on here I had neer really heard of anyone being home-schooled except on TV... except for this one girl in my school who had to be pulled out because she was a nervous wreck, but I guess that's different. What's it like? I guess if it gets you into college at 14 it's effective...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

245 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:11 am
LowKey says...

Mad -- :D

Doc -- Actually, I'm looking at taking some face-to-face classes this next quarter. Couldn't do it for this one because it's winter, and winter = icy roads. But at least one face-to-face next quarter. :D

Sunshine -- It's always cool! What are you taking?

Kyte -- Thanks! :D

Rick -- The local community one that I am not allowed to name... :smt083

Stella -- Homeschooling works best if it's combined with personalized learning, and that's what I had. For the most part, I stayed at home and played learning games and watched videos. If I wanted, I could go take site-based classes at the learning center. Also, 'the world is our classroom' was kinda the motto, and it definitely was. Karate for PE, taking a trip to San Fransisco for history... very fun. :D And the school payed for it all, too.

I'm not too nervous. Some adults are more mature than others, and this quarter, almost everybody is in the same program I'm in. The program is where you combine you last two years of high school with the first two of college, and you get dual credit. But for every credit you earn in college, you get two for high school. Also, you don't have to take any high school classes if you don't want to. You can just do full time college. :D

EDIT: Classes (updated)

English
Sociology
Stress management
Keyboarding (I need the credit.)

They didn't have MS Word 2007, so I would have had to play catch up in addition to learning the new program. :shock: So we swapped that for Stress Management. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:52 pm
blustarr9009 says...

wow! go home schoolers! i was home schooled since kindergarten, but i guess i'm way less smart than you cause i'm gonna be 18 when i start college. Congrats. your classes seem really interesting, and your teachers, (what youve told us about them, at least) sound really good as well... I think that matters a lot, especially when you're younger than the rest of the class.

Best of luck!
~Leanne
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be bought with chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
~Patrick Henry

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:07 am
MidnightVampire says...

O man! I'm happy for you, I truelly am. But I'm sooooo envious!!!!! Even though I'm a seventh grader in algebra, advanced science, and advanced writing, I'm envious. I'v never been so envious of someone. Not even my sister, and that's saying something.
AAAAAaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O good luck by the way.

Sory about my rant, but I like considering myself smart. I think I don't consider myself smart anymore, o well, I'll go talk to Lauren and she'll talk me into feeling better.
Good luck.... again. And again.... sorry for my rage.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton