Young Writers Society

£1 = $2

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:35 pm
Firestarter says...

Take that suckers!

Just kidding. First time since 1992 that one pound sterling has the same worth as two American dollars. Pretty good for any Brits wanting to go shopping in the states. Firther reaffirms my belief that the Euro is for European wusses. Long live the Pound Sterling!

XD
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:37 pm
Via says...

Is that a new development? Because last time I checked (a month ago) one pound equaled something like one dollar and thirty cents.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:39 pm
Firestarter says...

Not really a new development, it's been on an upward slide. I have no idea where you got that exchnage rate, because the pound has been worth close to $2 for the last six months.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

694 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:46 pm
Via says...

Hmph. I'm pretty sure I was thinking Euros instead of pounds.

Which is not good at all. *stresses*

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:30 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

I noticed that European currency was going up a couple months ago when I went to trade a some euros for dollars.

But wow, two dollars. The economy's failing and yet were still in Iraq.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:52 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Just because the Euros are better doesn't mean we're failing EBM. They have the currency of several countries.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

694 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 pm
Via says...

It means I am failing, lol. I just did a whole bunch of conversions for my trip next summer and this post made me realize how retarded I was because I converted into Euros rather than Pounds...and I needed pounds....which added a lot of money for my trip :(

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:05 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Wow. Shopping is cheaper for us in the US. But I thought it's only a little, as isn't it relative? Aren't the prices in the US basically just double than over here (amount of pounds/dollars, not actual currency)?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:19 pm
Nate says...

Exchange rates are funny things, but the current rise in the Pound Sterling reflects higher inflation in the United Kingdom versus inflation in the United States. That is, inflation in the UK is climbing at about 3%, while it's about 2% in the US. There has been a slide in the dollar recently reflecting concerns over the housing slump, but it all depends on what currency you're talking about. The dollar is rising against the Yen, but falling against the Euro. In the end, it doesn't really matter much. In fact, you should expect the Pound Sterling to fall back below $2 in the coming year if the British Central Bank decides to increase interest rates in order to combat inflation.

What this does do is make it a lot easier to discuss dollars and pounds! All I got to do is double, and that is awesome. Although it will make my trip to England this August a bit more expensive...
Last edited by Nate on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

694 Reviews

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:23 pm
Via says...

Amen, Nate. That's my problem.....the England trip, and then the Kenya trip in which I pay in pounds for them to pay for me lol.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:24 pm
Nate says...

KazSmurf wrote:Wow. Shopping is cheaper for us in the US. But I thought it's only a little, as isn't it relative? Aren't the prices in the US basically just double than over here (amount of pounds/dollars, not actual currency)?

Yes and no. Over the long term, you should expect prices to converge such that there is no difference whether you shop in the US or shop in the UK. But the problem is, we always live in the short term where prices can be volatile. With higher inflation in the UK, goods are going to be cheaper in the US. Anyone can correct me on this if I'm wrong as I'm only following news accounts, but right now a Big Mac in the UK cost 2 pounds, or $4, just to use one example.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:01 pm
Firestarter says...

Yeah, the best thing is making it really really easy to convert. I know next to nothing about economics, and I was only joking in my post.

How much is a Big Mac in the US? In the short term it will definitely be cheaper to shop in the US.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:06 pm
backgroundbob says...

How much is a Big Mac in the US?
Funny you should say that, actually - 'Burgernomics' or 'the Big Mac Index' is a very neat way of quickly figuring out how strong a country's currency and economy are; because McD's is available in so many countries, comparing the prices of them is an interesting and amusing way of figuring out strength of economy.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 pm
gyrfalcon says...

I'm studying abroad to England next year, and I saw an example that a CD in the States costs about $15, while a CD in the UK costs about 15 pounds, which equals about $30!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:42 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

I never go to McDonald's or any fast-food restaurants, but I'm pretty sure a Big Mac is $2.50 to $4. It really depends where you are.

CD's cost about $15. DVD's are $15 to $25.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead