z

Young Writers Society

Message board for moderator support?

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue May 15, 2007 4:44 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

This is a long shot, but I figured I could try posting here any way.

Does anyone know of any message boards for moderators of boards (not even just boards for writing message board moderators, but all kinds of message boards) to get help (technical and otherwise) with stuff for their boards? I don't think one exists. I'm kind of thinking of making one, but it would be something I'd work on over time (i.e. the summer), and I really don't know how much help I could provide to people just by myself.

I think it'd be a great idea if such a board existed, 'cause I could certainly use it right now for my Inspired Writers board. :|

Edited to ask: if a board for moderators described above existed, would you join it (if you're either a mod/admin/co-mod/whatever)?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue May 15, 2007 5:13 pm
Firestarter says...

What board software do you use? Whatever it is, find the home page of it, and there is often a support forum for administratos/webmasters. Otherwise, type into google the board software and help or whatever, and there tends to be many exisiting ones around.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

59 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 5:33 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

That's not really what I meant, although the board host I use's support forum generally sucks because they've been of little help so far.

What I meant is just like...a place like the support forums that board hosts have, but a sort of expanded version of it. Like...if you need to find people to help moderate your board, there'd be a section for it. If you need technical help with a board host, like, Ezboard, and the people at the Ezboard support forum aren't helping much, then you could use the board for mods to get help as a second resource for getting help with it. Stuff like that.

I use createmybb.com as a host (if I were to make the board for moderators, I PROBABLY wouldn't use that host). I've been getting this error whenever I go to the second page of the members list (and since the board hasn't been around long, it's always been like that because we don't have more than two pages on the members list), so I went to the support forum and asked about it. They said to turn off the shoutbox that I have on my board (that createmybb supplies). I did that, but it makes my entire board disappear if I do that. When I told them that a few weeks ago, they didn't reply to me.

I also tried to do a google search for a board like the one I described but haven't found anything. I'm 99% positive that I remember someone advertising a board like the one I'm talking about, but I have no clue where it was advertised (what communitie) and what the name of it was.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 15, 2007 5:43 pm
Nate says...

Since your board is using MyBB, I'd first recommend checking out their boards. Then there is also The Admin Zone at:
http://www.theadminzone.com/index.php

Join the computer/tech group on YWS as well, as that's a group of people that you probably already know and can get easy advice from.

But, I've always steered away from such boards as I've never found them to be much help. It's very hard getting a forum off the ground, and the only reason YWS did so well from the start is because it's really a successor site to another young writers site (The Young Writers Club). Of course, YWS is my third attempt at starting a writing site too.

However, they are good in getting recommendations for what you need, and there are some useful articles over at The Admin Zone.

59 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 6:24 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Ah ha! The Admin Zone is exactly what I was talking about, basically, which is awesome. Thank you for the link. Now I don't have to worry about making a board for it.

I've joined a few other boards, and between those and Livejournal I haven't gotten a ton of members, but hopefully joining Admin Zone will help that.

Hmm. Creating a group on Facebook (I haaaaaaate MySpace but like Facebook) wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks. ^_^

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 15, 2007 6:35 pm
DancingRain says...

I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for but here is a site that's good if you someday need extra help.

http://vald.proboards22.com

You'd have to register I think unless they've changed since the last time I've been there but it was always helpful for me to get help for my forum. Anyways I hope this helps a little.
"but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo" Fred or George Weasley
*Formerly Tanis*

59 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 6:39 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Awesome. This, too, is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link. ^_^

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain