z

Young Writers Society

Time Travel

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu May 03, 2007 12:45 am
Dynamo says...

There are two modes of time travel, fate vs. free will.

Free will is the mode where your actions can and will change the flow of time, thus this can also lead to paradoxes. (Ever see Back To The Future?)

Fate is the mode where everything you will do when you travel in time has already been done. You're just playing out a pre-played role. Let's say a catastrophic event happened in the past and you want to stop it from ever happening. You go back in time but your time machine malfunctions when you get there and causes a nuclear explosion. So it was actually your fault in the first place.

So free will is the only mode where you can actually change anything in time but is the most likely to cause paradoxes. With fate you cannot change anything in time but your impact on the time-line itself will have little to no chances of causing a paradox.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Thu May 03, 2007 7:08 am
Cornelius_Quinnsomer says...

Read Korzybski. Nothing happens to be simply either/or.

I happen to agree with William Burroughs on this subject of time, fate, and freewill.

"Nothing is inevitable until it happens."

We are theoretically completely free, but once something happens, it could not have happen any other way--there was no other way. It's both worlds layered on top one another.

methinks

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun May 06, 2007 3:49 am
Alice says...

My opinion is simple, no matter how you do it, time travel is going to screw us up, and its never for the better in the long run.
I just lost the game.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue May 08, 2007 6:28 pm
Tyd says...

Future time travel is just a waste :P Because even if you try and change it, or prepare yourself for it better, your still going to do exactly the same things as you did in the future becuase otherwise it wouldn't be the future :p

It's like, you learn your going to get run over by a car the next day, so you try and avoid going down that street, but then a set of events lead you to go to that street i.e. Someone puts Deathy Hallows on the pavement where you get run over XD

*drifts on*
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

If I had control over the quote generator, I feel like I would put half of YWS in it.
— Kaia