z

Young Writers Society

Holocaust Memorial Day

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:40 pm
sabradan says...

So, after reading the "Should Hitler go to hell" thread, as well as reading the news from the past few months, and hearing about all these Holocaust deniers holding conferences, especially the one in Iran, attended by Nuterei Karta, a group of people who are supposedly Ultra-Orthodox Jews, but seem to me being more like David Finkelstein, and are only Jewish when it comes to criticizing thier fellow Jews (holocaust denial, anti-zionism, etc)

Anyways, I got to wondering, how many people here were even aware that there was a national Holocaust Memorial Day? I know its here in America, and of course in Israel, adn I think mot other countries have it also, all on the same day: today. Today is Yom Ha Shoah, Holocaust remembrance Day.

I know we're all busy people, but if you could all take a moment out of your day to pause, reflect, and remain silent, in honor of their memory, that would be very nice.

I will leave you with a saying that they often said as they were being marched toward the Gas chambers on Auschwitz, or Majdanek, or Chelmno, or many other camps:

"Ani ma'amin b'emunah shleimah b'viat ha Mashiach v'af al pi sheyitmameicha im kol zeh achakeh lo b'chol yom sheyavo"

"I believe in Perfect Faith in the coming of the Messiah. And though He may tarry, never the less I will await his coming every day"

Never Again.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:03 pm
Dream Deep says...

I was aware of the Day, but I admit, I was unsure of the precise date. I shall most certainly observe a moment of silence in honor of the lives that were taken in the camps in WWII.

Thank you for the notice, Dan, and for the saying. Wishing you the best,

Katja (Consigliere)

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:29 pm
backgroundbob says...

It interests me that the Holocaust should have specific place of remembrance, and seems rather inappropriate - while the Holocaust was a horrific event, it is by no means the only genocide even in the last century, and not even the most deadly.

I think perhaps a day in memorial of all victims of genocide would be much more fitting.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm
Via says...

Holocaust Memorial Day was yesterday, but unfortunately it fell second to the happenings at VA Tech--as I'm sure it will for a few years to come. It should be a join memorial day now, but people will remember VA Tech more emotionally because it happened yesterday, which unfortunately leaves the Holocause in the dust even though it is a significant event to remember :?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

147 Reviews

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:29 pm
sabradan says...

backgroundbob wrote:It interests me that the Holocaust should have specific place of remembrance, and seems rather inappropriate - while the Holocaust was a horrific event, it is by no means the only genocide even in the last century, and not even the most deadly.

I think perhaps a day in memorial of all victims of genocide would be much more fitting.

No one asked you.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

266 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 pm
backgroundbob says...

True! They only asked the Jews and not the Armenians, Russians, Chinese, Rwandans, Vietnamese, Pakistani, Cambodians, Sudanese or Congolese. It's wonderful how unrepresentative the vocal minority can make things.
The Oneday Cafe

147 Reviews

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:52 pm
sabradan says...

backgroundbob wrote:True! They only asked the Jews and not the Armenians, Russians, Chinese, Rwandans, Vietnamese, Pakistani, Cambodians, Sudanese or Congolese. It's wonderful how unrepresentative the vocal minority can make things.

Watch it Bob. While I respect your right to free speech, you're dangerously close to offensive. Remember, the holocaust was not just the murder of Jews, but of Jews, Russians, Communists, Slavs, Homosexuals, Gypsies, etc...

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:35 pm
Firestarter says...

Sab, he's not being offensive. He's simply saying that other victims of genocide are forgotten more easily.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

147 Reviews

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 am
sabradan says...

Firestarter wrote:Sab, he's not being offensive. He's simply saying that other victims of genocide are forgotten more easily.

No, thats not what he's saying. He's saying (maybe not through diction but through inflection) that its the Jews capitalizing on Genocide again, blah blah blah, why do the Jews only care about their own, blah blah blah, and its the first step people take down the road to Holocaust denial. Thats how Norman Finkelstein got his start...

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

266 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:15 am
backgroundbob says...

Watch it Bob. While I respect your right to free speech, you're dangerously close to offensive. Remember, the holocaust was not just the murder of Jews, but of Jews, Russians, Communists, Slavs, Homosexuals, Gypsies, etc...
Exactly - so why do we somehow assume that the Holocaust has priority of remembrance over all the other genocides? My Rwandan friend Richard lost his nearly entire family in the genocides there, yet somehow we allow the lessons to be forgotten - it seems a little one-sided.
The Oneday Cafe

147 Reviews

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:20 pm
sabradan says...

backgroundbob wrote:
Exactly - so why do we somehow assume that the Holocaust has priority of remembrance over all the other genocides? My Rwandan friend Richard lost his nearly entire family in the genocides there, yet somehow we allow the lessons to be forgotten - it seems a little one-sided.

The only people insinuating anything about forgetting other genocides is people like you, who don't like Holocaust Memorial Day. Remember, we always say "Never Again"--its not just in reference to the holocaust type genocide, but genocide in general. At least in my community thats what we're told.

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music.
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian