z

Young Writers Society

Steinbeck

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:00 pm
Whatsarahsaid says...

In my opinion a genius, Im reading Grapes Of Wrath at the moment and have already read Cannery Row and Of Mice and Men.
Alice♥
"stay up all night with the stars."

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:49 pm
IceCreamMan says...

I am reading Grapes of Wrath for school as well. It is very well written and intrigueing, but the pace at which our crazy teacher is making us read it sortof ruins the book for me. Rather than enjoying a well written story which has moral and literary merit, I must speed through it, sorting out whats important to know for a pop quiz and what isn't. But puting that aside, the book is very interesting to read. I really love Casy ("The Preacher") because he such an awsome character. He was a preacher, someone you would expect to be the purest and most perfect human being among us, yet he admits to many things which make him look like a horrible man to be a preacher, which is why he eventually quits preaching (his life contradicts his teachings). The dialect and rural life descriptions are done well but For some reason they annoy me. I guess I just need to grow up and overcome differences,lol.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:31 am
Clover Madison says...

Ah, just wait until you finish Grapes of Wrath. I hated Steinbeck for a while then started reading Grapes of Wrath and thought 'okay he's not that bad.' Oh but the end of Grapes of Wrath...he really is that bad. Its an awful ending. I do plan on reading Of Mice and Men though so I guess I'm not completely put off.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:33 pm
Pushca says...

of mice and men is one of my favorite books.

yeah, i try to get books read before we get to them for class. that's a lot easier with some teachers than others, of course.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:49 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I love steinbeck's work! Of Mice and Men is a wonderfull novel I recomend it to anyone who is reading this!

Seriously:
keep writing steinbeck and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:06 am
fanatic_dadaism says...

I loved the ending of Grapes of Wrath, I mean most of the poeple i know said it ruined the book because of the cliched symbolism, but i felt the it really was a blunt way to get his over all messege across. That is the only steinbeck book i've read but i loved it, our english class and my IB oral killed it until we started reading something else and i got to appericate the text though.
Rejoice in the Burning.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy