Young Writers Society

Long Live Harry Potter

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 pm
View Likes
armstronge says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKEXvts ... iybOEiFceg

Warning: If you don't like mushy things, please do not read!!!

First off, that link up there is to a Youtube video about Harry Potter. Watch it, you don't necessarily have to read the stuff down here, just watch it. I didn't make that video, in fact I have no clue who did. Whoever did is amazing.

Shall I begin?

Harry Potter is something out of the world. I didn't read Harry Potter until I was 11, because I had watched the first movie and Voldemort scared all the Harry Potter out of me. After that, I refused to read any of the books or watch any of the movies because I thought it was as scary as the 1st movie.

I was wrong.

And that's why I'm glad my sister kept bugging me to read it. Anyone out there who hasn't read Harry Potter yet is missing out on life.

J.K. Rowling didn't just give the world a novel about a boy. She gave the world a whole new world. She gave everyone characters to meet and love, places to explore and wander, emotions to swell up our hearts, and situations that leave us breathless.

She gave us something that only a truly, amazing, fantastic, awesome, there's just no words to describe what Harry Potter is and what it means to us insane HP fans.

This might be late (as the last HP movie has been released a long time ago), but I'd still like to write this and to post this.

J.K. Rowling brought Harry to life.

And we, the readers and the fans, get to move alongside Harry.

We grow older with Harry, get smarter with Harry. We meet new friends with Harry, new people, new rivals. We face obstacles and problems with Harry. We feel his grief when loved ones die. We feel his joy, when friends are reunited. We feel his love towards Hogwarts. We experience the pain with him. We understand his anger and his frustration.

Whatever it is, we are always with him.

And although the last Harry Potter movie is out, the novels, the characters, the places, the losses, will never be forgotten. It won't fade away like how old trends do.

What I really would like is for J.K. Rowling to see the comments on the Youtube video. They're all about the same things, but they're all inspiring and warm. I want J.K. Rowling to know how much her book has touched each and every readers' hearts.

Harry Potter is a gift, a miracle, a legend.

Harry Potter will last forever.

Cheers to us, the Harry Potter generation.

Cheers to Harry Potter.

Long live Harry Potter.
Last edited by armstronge on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world”

“A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”

“Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:39 pm
skl02134 says...

Awh :) It's a fantastic tribute, and without a doubt one that reflects the feeling of every Harry Potter fan (myself included!) It truly is the end of an era, but it will effect those of our generation for a long time!
The key to every locked heart is commonly found hiding within little insecurities.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 am
LiesOnLies says...

Harry Potter is dead..move on

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:32 am
Shinrai says...

This video was amazing I've had a YouTube account and only have about 20 videos favorited but this one makes it onto that list I don't know how I missed it :D its to good to miss guess what I'm watching for the rest of the night haha
Shinrai (Japanese) means reliance, faith, trust, and confidence which are things that I hold value in and I strive to be reliable, faithful to God and the people I'm around, trustworthy, and confident so if you were wondering what my name means I hope this explains everything

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm
Ranger51 says...

Cheers to Harry Potter!

That was an absolutely amazing video - perfect music and perfect scenes! J.K. Rowling created something magical, not just words on paper. As much as I love writing, I can only hope to reach the level that she did. Rowling has replaced J.R.R Tolkien on my twop three authors list, up there with C.S. Lewis and John Flanagan. Harry Potter was more than just an exciting story, although it was that as well - it was a series of lessons and a study of human nature, a study of what makes someone human. Even though it was full of fantasies and unreal magics, those seven books revealed realities of life - realities of loss, of betrayal, and yet also realities of endurance and forviging love. It teaches us to love those we once hated - as in the case of Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape - and see things as the fantastic things they are.

Even though many people see magic as an ordinary everyday tool, youger Harry and the readers see it as the beautiful wonder it is - and normal life is the same way. Things like the sun, grass, clouds, water - like magic, they can be considered wonders even though they are commonplace and normal.

Harry will never die, even if his story ends. He will live on in our memories, and his lessons will pass through generations to come.

Thanks, J.K. Rowling, for the blessing of your writing.
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 pm
heybud300 says...

Hola People, let me introduce myself, I'm heybud, and an AVID reader. (Thats in all caps for a reason). I've read hundreds of fantasy/sci-fi books, military history, fiction, philosophy, you name it, I've read it. (Aside from romance, that is just straight up boring.)

Now, everyone has heard of Harry Potter. And if you ask anyone about it, anywhere from 7 to 9 out of 10 will say how much they looooooove the books and how much they looooooove the movies. My big problem with it is: The books and movies suck. Lets ignore the movies and focus on the good stuff, the books.

So first off: Generic Plot Line set in our World (Sorta). Theres "The One" who goes around getting ready and having confrontations with "Bad Guy #1". He develops relationships, gets friends, loses friends. Kills Bad Guy #1.

So the plotline is generic as hell, but you know what, not a huge deal. Most books have this plot line, and everyone loves it (though it tends to get old.) The biggest problem, is how bland the books are. There's hardly any background on any of the characters, or on the setting (Hogwarts). There's just the main problem, then it ends. Then the book is done. You could take all the background from everything Rowling describes in the series, and fit it in 3-5 pages.

For instance: Hermoine's parents are dentists. They go to Australia. That is about 90% of the background for one of the three main characters.

Also, character development in the book is awful. I feel like Harry didn't change at all through the entire series. He stayed the same, reacted the same, got a bit more serious about things, a bit less afraid, but that was about it.

Also with characters, Rowling tends to either talk about them, and never ever introduce them, or introduce them with a nice bit, keep them for a chapter, and though they're still alive and still in Hogwarts always around, they aren't mentioned for the rest of the series. (Peeves got like 1 chapter. He was the man.)

There is more I can write about, but I feel like I'm only going to get flamed more :)

Now I'm sure all the Harry Potter fans will bash me, but please just read it through, and read some real good books. Of course this is completely subjective and my opinion, but I'm interested to see if anyone else shares my hatred for Harry Potter.

Good books to read:

Song of Ice and Fire
Wheel of Time
Malazan Book of the Fallen
The Magician's Guild
Warhammer 40k: Horus Heresy
Ender's Game

There are a number more, and I encourage everyone to put away their Harry Potter books (perferably into an active fireplace, but if you dont have one currently, feel free to use the trash can) and try something new!

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:20 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Long live Harry Potter! *raises arm*

Really, the series, the books and the movies, really touched my heart. It let me learn and grow.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Mon May 13, 2013 6:18 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Die hard fan of Harry Potter. The video was totes amazing. J.K. Rowling. <3'
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 am
CowLogic says...

harry perter! He do got dem MAGIC! Weeeeeeeeeoooh!!! And dem dang ol'Hermeiny and Rand and dey go kill dem bad guy n magic. Perter!!!!!!
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

No one achieves anything alone.
— Leslie Knope