z

Young Writers Society

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:31 am
Clover Madison says...

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I haven't gotten so excited or obsessed with a book since reading Harry Potter.

Summary: Twilight is about a girl Bella Swan who moves from Phoenix, Arizona to Forks, Washington (the rainiest city in the US) to live with her dad. She is not at all happy with the move. Even though she is not too sure of herself all of the kids at the high school really like her. There she falls in love with Edward Cullen except there's one problem he's a vampire. (Don't worry I'm not ruining anything it tells you all of this on the back cover.)

So what's the deal: I'm sure your thinking there a billion stories like this, girl falls in love with boy who turns out to be a vampire and wants to suck her blood. The real magic of this story is in the characters. They mine as well be real people. The characters that Meyer has created are engaging, entertaining and captivating. Edward will make all the girls wish that he was a real person. Everything about this book is amazing.

But don't take my word for it: It's not just me who has loved this book. I've made almost everyone I know read this book and no one has not liked it. Everyone has actually LOVED it. Plus if I could I would totally make this remark "If you do not LOVE this book I will give you a full refund."* That's how sure I am that you will adore this book.

Still don't believe me: Visit www.stepheniemeyer.com for more about the author and this book.

* I'm sorry but I will not refund your book

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 23, 2006 1:22 am
~Megan~ says...

I've read this book and it is soooooo awesome. I was obsessed with it like Harry Potter (I still am). I can't wait for the next ones to come out, and the other stuff that she has posted for midnight sun was sooo good too! Sorry about that but I really really like this book.
This thing all things devours;
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
Beats high mountain down.
The Hobbit J.R.R Tolkein

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:39 pm
Manzanna says...

This is a really good book. Right now its my favorite book. Its the first good romance book I've read in a while.

It made me all interested in vampires. ^_^
"When you're nothing, you're free to believe anything." - Milkweed

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:45 am
Pushca says...

i hate vampires and romance. but my god i love this book. i have it and new moon on an alter in my room and pray to it every time i go to write.

er. not exactly. but it is an amazing book. and stephenie meyer is very cool.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:50 pm
Emerson says...

They might as well be real people.
I'd like to think all characters could be real people ;-)

I've never read it, but I have people telling me to read it. My only thing for vampires is Anne Rice, and I'm judgmental and think that Twilight is a YA so I won't touch it -_-

But my friends keep telling me I should read it, that its really good. Maybe it will slip into my reading list somewhere....

Has anyone read Anne Rice? How does it compare to that? I'm curious.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:02 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I find that most of the books on these reviews I havn't read =(... I'm going to have to start catching up on my reading...

keep writing and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:35 am
saoirse says...

Claudette wrote:
They might as well be real people.
I'd like to think all characters could be real people ;-)

I've never read it, but I have people telling me to read it. My only thing for vampires is Anne Rice, and I'm judgmental and think that Twilight is a YA so I won't touch it -_-

But my friends keep telling me I should read it, that its really good. Maybe it will slip into my reading list somewhere....

Has anyone read Anne Rice? How does it compare to that? I'm curious.

It doesn't compare. At all. Twilight may be a good story, but I found it too teenage and contemporary for my tastes. Sure, Edward's pretty damn hot, but her writing didn't really jump out at me as being brilliant or anything.
sweetheart
sick body part
sickheart
sweet body part

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:13 am
misspriss says...

This girl I know (not very well, actually) has pretty much pressured me into promising that I'll read Twilight, that it is "such a good book, SO sweet, THE BEST BOOK, you HAVE to read it, blah blah blah."

I'm a christian and my mom is very particular about what I read. She's not like one of those moms who totally FREAKS OUT if I have a book with a bad word in it.

As a matter of fact, language isn't much of a problem, it's mainly romances she has a problem with.

She lets me read romances (well...depending on the back) and all, but gives me that, "please use discernment," look, which compels me to say, "I WILL use discernment, mom."

So basically before I ramble on any longer, I'd like to know, is this book SUITABLE?

And that is my original question, believe it or not. Gosh, I've rambled so much I could barely remember my question...

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:20 am
saoirse says...

Yeah, it is. They don't do anything sexual because he thinks he'll hurt her. You know, considering he has amazing vampire strength. They don't even say 'the word' at all, if I remember correctly.
sweetheart
sick body part
sickheart
sweet body part

Random avatar

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:22 am
misspriss says...

Hmm...thanks. I don't actually mind if they say 'the word', but didn't want to read a book that is a lot of teenage love and mush.

Is it about teenage love and mush?

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:24 am
saoirse says...

Haha, yeah. That's basically what the book is about. :) It's not really that mushy though.
sweetheart
sick body part
sickheart
sweet body part

Random avatar

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:32 am
misspriss says...

Hmm. I'll probably have to read it just so I can tell that girl that yes, I HAVE read it.

*sigh*

Thanks for your help!

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:52 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I have a confession to make, I just mooched Twilight, and read it in the span of a few hours. Note, this book is first person narrative. Also note, I HATE first person narrative. It's ugly, and pitfull, and way to egocentric for my tastes. Most of the time I don't want to be in my own head, not to mention anothers. Plus, your character is going to have to be extremely interesting for me to read a whole novel from inside their head.

But back to the story, I really, really enjoyed it. I am waiting around to get the paperback of the sequel. It was fun, interesting, and yeah, I actually read the whole thing.

As for comparing it to Anne Rice, yes it was more YA, but that didn't stop me after all, my motto is: I read it if it's good. Albeit, Rice is vastly more complex than Meyer.

I recommed it to anyone who interesting in reading Vampire Romance.

Plus, I loved how Meyer crafted her characters. OMG, they are real. I'm not sure what, but there is something about Bella that makes me love her no matter what, maybe it's her utter lack of coordination.

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 am
BellaLuna says...

Words cannot describe how in love I am with this book (and let's not even begin on how much I love Edward...I could go on for days and days about my beloved Edward. lol). I've read it a total of three times, and only God knows how many times I've reread my favorite parts. Pretty soon I'm going to have to invest in a hardback copy, because I'm not sure how much longer my paperback is going to last. I don't know what it is, but something about the book just sucks me in and once I get started reading it I can't put it down. It's my favorite book ever.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:25 am
Emerson says...

I just finished it an hour ago. For a YA about vampires, I suppose it does duty. My inner Anne Rice fan didn't hate it too much, though my lonely teen-aged soul did.

I do have some bones to pick with it though, none the less. It was kind of frustrating to read, I'm done and thinking "What happened?" I suppose that is YA, though. It's not thick, there isn't much to it. I hit page 400, and that's when the story started, not 400 pages earlier, on page one, where it should have. It took 400 pages to get to the thick conflict....sure there was conflict through the rest of it, but the core center of the story was slim, didn't last too long, and was resolved quickly. You could also say the main conflict was, "Will Bella and Edward get together?" but that is answered all to simply. Of course they will be.

Which is another reason I really didn't like it. It leads on too strongly that you can fall in love with some random strange and in days, be risking your life for them, and head over heals forever-in-love-with-them. It was kind of corny and usual, but hey it's YA trying to make you young kids hopeful isn't it?

Then, you look at the over used adjectives, she constantly called Edward a statue of this or that kind and it just got puke-worth after too long. She kept describing them as the same thing over and over again. It's like she was writing and going "Oh, they can't forget Edward is statue-like! They can't forget Bella is clumsy!" I mean, pick any description, and she mentioned it all too often. At the least, she could have gone for better words rather than the same.

But, it wasn't bad. I don't love it, otherwise I wouldn't be picking it a part, but it has its good side. The characters were sweet, and heart felt. I even tried finding plot holes, the only thing I really could barely call a plot whole is her being in the hospital, and rather than being on a steady flow of pain killers which made her not able to hold up the conversation she had with Edward when she woke up, she was only given meds when she asked for them, and other than an "ouch" now and then from something and a dizziness, she could handle a full conversation. My mom was in for routine surgery and she couldn't even hold a conversation; she "fell through a a window". But anyhow. The characters were likable, it was sickly one of those you-can't-put-down books. I'll get a hold of the second as soon as it's available at the library.

Something about it over all I didn't like; whether it was the ending, or the way the whole story felt like a lot of nothing once you got to the end. I mean, its not like he turned her into a vampire at the end, he kissed her. So it's not like I expect anything fantastic...though, I could be wrong.

I'll stop rambling about the book :-D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

i exist in a constant state of confusion so its ok
— veeren