z

Young Writers Society

Ahem.. Ahem.. Roald Dahl is here!!

What do you think about Roald Dahl as a wrtiter?

Wonderful
51%
Good
29%
Naaa......
10%
I don't know him
10%

Total votes : 41

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:23 am
Shine says...

Book: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More.
Author: Roald Dahl.

Roald Dahl is one of my favorite writer. And I recently read this book, which was fabulous. Especially the story Henry Sugar. The story is about a man who can see with his eyes closed.

The stories are all fiction except the story “A piece of cake” .He had hardly written any non-fiction story. Almost all stories of RD are fiction. (and that is why I love his stories). He has approximately written two non-fiction stories, and one of which is the first story he wrote: Can any of u name it and in which year it was written??. And the other one is I guess the ‘Boy, the tales of childhood’.

The stories that, this book contains are:
1.The Boy Who Talked with Animals.
2.The Hitch-hiker.
3.The Mildenhall Treasure.
4.The Swan.
5.The Wonderful story of Henry Sugar(as I have mentioned already).
6.Lucky break.
7.A piece of cake.

These seven stories are superb, full of Roald Dahl’s usual magic, mystery and suspense.
Good descriptions, and very good characters. The stories are unforgettable.

Anyone who read this book?? (I think most of u did)J
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:59 am
Myth says...

I loved that book especially the story of Henry Sugar, my teacher read it to us and I just had to read it all over again, I think I'll borrow it from the library as I've forgotten what the other stories were. The Hitch-Hiker was good too.

368 Reviews

Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:42 am
Shine says...

Hmm.. Henry sugar is everyone’s favorite (to those who read it). :)

-Sayani.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:59 am
Bobo says...

I used to love Roald Dahl. I didn't read this book you're talking about, but I read Matilda, The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Glass Elevator, The Twits, and a couple others I can't remember. I also read at least some of his biographies.

Then, one day, I found a book by him called Switch Bitch. You can probably imagine what it might be about. I couldn't believe it. I read some of the reviews, and they confirmed what I suspected about the book. I have never read any books by Roald Dahl since.

But I did see the new Charlie movie :)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:49 pm
Myth says...

I read that book, it was .. awful ..

The Magic Finger and Fantastic Mr Fox are my favourites.

Reviews: 4
Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 pm
McPheever says...

My favorite story from Roald Dahl is definitely FAntastic Mr. Fox. My 8 year old mind read it, and loved it.
() () "Help me conquer the world"
(*;*) "Okay....pretty please!?"
<(__)> VOTE for Katharine McPhee. The next American Idol.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:21 pm
zelithon says...

His books got me into reading! I didn't really enjoy books that much until 3rd grade when i read one of his books.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:37 am
Clover Madison says...

I love Dahl's work especially Revolting Rhymes (If your ever in the Children's section of a bookstore you must check it out its hilarious). His short stories are amazing. I've never read Henry Sugar but now I will. The ones I've read are Skin and other stories and The Umbrella Man and other stories (these are short stories for teens and they're inspiring for every short story writer out there).
Last edited by Clover Madison on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:37 am
dele24 says...

My favorite story from Roald Dahl is definitely FAntastic Mr. Fox. My 8 year old mind read it, and loved it.

Yeah, go Fantastic Mr fox, I haven't read it for ages but it was so cool. Also Esio Trot, that was pretty interesting.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 am
Areida says...

I've mostly read the ones Bobo mentioned.

I loved Matilda, The Twits, and The Witches most of all, though.

I remember being quite afraid of The Witches but for some reason it fascinated me anyway. Then again, I used to read a lot of stuff when I was little that scared me... lol... What a morbid child I was indeed.

The Twits was one of those that made me laugh and yet disturbed me at the same time. The whole worms thing... and the eye? Was it an eye or a leg? Geeze, I can't remember. I should go on a Roald Dahl spree. Might relieve pre-finals stress. ...Eh, probably not, but it might be fun! :mrgreen:

I haven't seen the new Willy Wonka. I can't stand the old one (it freaks me out) so I've refused to see the new one thus far.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

368 Reviews

Sun May 21, 2006 10:54 am
Shine says...

I have heard of the book skins but I didn’t read it. Soon I’ll be reading that. I never heard of the book which Bobo is talking about.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is really good, though I remember only glimpse of it.

I loved the story Matilda. :D

-Sayani :wink:

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:45 pm
Prosithion says...

I don't believe that I've ever heard of him. how is his writing?
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:49 pm
Snoink says...

It's like JK Rowling's, except even more creative and fantastic. Basically? Good stuff!

...of course, I'm talking about his children's novels, that is. His other books are rather offbeat and everything. He's one of my main inspirations for writing. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:52 pm
Poor Imp says...

Snoink wrote:It's like JK Rowling's, except even more creative and fantastic. Basically? Good stuff!

...of course, I'm talking about his children's novels, that is. His other books are rather offbeat and everything. He's one of my main inspirations for writing. :D

Er, that would explain some things... ^_~

Reas: Yes, Roald Dahl is well worth the read, and much more clever than Rowling could ever hope to be.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:53 pm
Nate says...

What I've always though is funny about Roald Dahl is that even though he was great at writing children's books, he hated writing them.

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief