z

Young Writers Society

Summer Movie Reviews

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Vettan says...

The summer has finally arrived bringing with it the start of the blockbuster season. It looks to be an exciting year at the movies with big titles such as Transformers, X-men and Harry Potter to name a few. Unfortunately, few will have the time to see them all and. moreover, not all will be worth seeing on the big screen. The purpose of this discussion is to help us, the viewers, decide which movies are worth seeing and which ones fall short. If you have recently watched a movie in the movie theater please post your opinion on it or write a short review. It would be very helpful if you can include a score for the movie out of 10. Hopefully, many of you will participate in this discussion to make it the best possible movie season for us all.
Thank you
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 pm
RedBird says...

I just saw Super 8...and I'm still not quite sure what to think of it. Certainly, it is a tribute to almost all of Spielberg's films, but it also tries to take a direction that doesn't really work. The action sequences were excellent, and so was the acting, especially from the younger actors, and for the first half of the movie, the focus was more on the relationships between the characters and how they deal with terrifying circumstances in which they find themselves. However, when the action starts picking up and the thing that goes bump makes itself more visible, the film began to lose the the quality of the character building.
Now, that isn't to say that this movie isn't fun, because it is. The suspense is very well enacted, and the thrills are excellent. It's just that, after J.J. Abrams spent so much time building his characters, I was disappointed that they kind of lost it. Other than that, I definitely recommend Super 8. It's worth a watch,

8/10
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm
WebzTycoon says...

Today, I'm going to do a review on the latest Transformers movie, the third one released.

The movie gives me mixed feelings. Let me tell you though, it is epic, and It does a very good job of pulling you into the story. You can feel the influence the war between the Autobots and Deceptigons has put on humanity, and the desperation in our actions as we use our last resort.s. You also feel the emotion and heart ache when seeing one of your favs die, or even worse, seeing the faces of those [i]watching [i] them die.

But the movie is somewhat cheesy. Transformers was originally created for a younger audience under the age of 12. The first movie was designed for the same, maybe a bit older, crowd. But the first movie also hooked adults and older teens who hadn't originally been fans of it before. Why is this bad? Well, as I noticed in the 2nd and 3rd movies, because they have an older crowd, they also introduced some more mature content. They seemed to be trying really hard to turn the franchise into an action packed, cuss out thriller for adults rather then a fun kinds/teens movie. I was really dissapointed with the 2nd movie especially.

The third movie did redeem itself. I got the same epic, suspense, and desperation feeling like I had in the first. What I really don't like is the main character, Sam. He seems more like a male damsel in distress then a hero. He just gets in the way. When the autobots, expecially bumblebee, could be kicking but, I always find myself sighing when they have to yet again save Sam. And he's not a great asset to the team and surely doesn't give an advantage.

With all that said, Transformers is worth a watch as well. I give it an 8/10

if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah