z

Young Writers Society

Jane Eyre

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:35 pm
Baps says...

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is an inspiring and remarkable novel which has had made quite a significant impact on my life. My first instinct when I got to know that we were going to read Jane Eyre was that it would be boring and that I would not be able to relate to it. I was informed that the novel revolved around a female character and I had heard from sources that the story was quite similar to Oliver Twist. However, Jane Eyre has changed the way I look at life and taught me humility. The novel addresses many important issues that people seem to overlook in our daily lives. Jane Eyre shows that love conquers all. It is a story where two people truly love each other but undergo a series of unfortunate events until their destiny is fulfilled. The novel about following your heart and realizing it does not matter what others think.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:47 am
Jiggity says...

Jane Eyre is a literary classic, which encapsulates the struggle of the modern female, or indeed that of all females. Its a text full of textual integrity because it relates so well to contemporary society. Its praises could be sung till morning, but ultimately its boring. As a fictional novel (despite its disturbing similaritis to Charlotte Bronte's real life and didnt a great man once say that a bad novel tells you about the author, while a good one tells you about the characters?) it fails in its task, which is to entertain. Well, at least for a bunch of boys being forced to read it for English, it does.

Trust me, it was boring.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:48 am
Clover Madison says...

Jane Eyre was a great read. I thought it was very good. As a classic I thought it would be hard to read but I could relate very well to Jane. I wrote my research paper on Jane Eyre and the criticism opened my eyes to all of the techniques Bronte uses. I especially liked her use of doubles (St John Rivers and John Reed), symbolism (Fire and Water) and the way she separated the novel into locations. A must read for any girl or anyone who wants to read the classics.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:03 pm
Myth says...

I didn't like Jane Eyre much, though I did feel sorry for her when she attened boarding school (was it?). I read a shortened version of it so I may have missed some bits out.

I prefer Brontë's Villette.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:41 pm
stilltyping says...

I enjoyed Jane Eyre, but I wouldn't say it has impacted me personally.

And autobiographical influences are obvious. Most would say that is a sign of bad writing, but I don't mind it so much. I rather enjoy the diversionary habit I've picked up when reading Brontë- that is, drawing paralells between novels as I read, and imagining the events and passions in her own life that inspired them.

I can't really vouch for Charlotte Brontë's imagination though, seeing as her plotlines run much the same: the governess/ teacher has an impoverished or depressed childhood, is unfortunately plain, scorns vanities and ultimately falls in love with an unconventional character (the conventional Brontë).
///thanks.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:50 pm
Fand says...

Myth: you should definitely read the full Jane Eyre if you get the chance - most of the magic was in the telling of the story, rather than the story itself (at least, for me).

I do love this book, but I have to say, I prefer the "other" Bronte - my namesake, Emily.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:19 am
Jiggity says...

You see, its quite obvious that its a female book, a female classic, but did my idiot teacher care about that? NO! Who in their right mind, apart from those with a death wish, would make this the prescribed text for an Yr 11 class of boys, in an all boys school?
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:14 pm
Wiggy says...

Oh!!!! Bestest book ever!!!! I started reading it and as a result missed a deadline for an important paper because I just couldn't put it down. OMG I looooved this book. Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Skye says...

I'm with Fand. I absolutely loved the book (I just finished it yesterday, as a matter of fact!) and the playful yet frank tone of the book.

Jiggy - I understand that the book would appeal more to girls, but I see no reason as to why a boy couldn't enjoy it as well. *shrugs* But it is kind of funny that it's on the curriculum in an all-boys' school. :)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:03 pm
Poor Imp says...

Jiggity wrote:You see, its quite obvious that its a female book, a female classic, but did my idiot teacher care about that? NO! Who in their right mind, apart from those with a death wish, would make this the prescribed text for an Yr 11 class of boys, in an all boys school?

Definitely not quite in thier right mind...

But I didn't much like it at all, myself - seemed rather endless and Jane always struck me as fate-struck or whining. !_! I don't really care for the Bronte's writing either.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:41 pm
Persephonie84 says...

:) I love this novel. It is so beautifully written. It's one of my favorite classic novels. Jane Eyre was my book my first adult read when I was twelve years old. I when first took it out, I remember someone telling me that it was going to be boring. But like I always say I have to be my own critic. So I read & loved it. And I still read it too.

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen