z

Young Writers Society

The Host

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:12 pm
MidnightWriter says...

This book is my favorite. At first, I didn't want to read it because it was by Stephenie Meyer. I have to say if you think she was an OK writer (like I did), she has definitely improved. Here is the back of the book;

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

It was really good. You'd think if something took over your body, they'd be cruel. Wanderer and Melanie care for each other, which I liked. Even though people are against Wanderer, they trust her. I normally don't read 'alien' type books, but I definitely recommend it! I give it a 9 out of 10.

It is an Adult book, but I found it more suitable for YA.
e.v.e.r.y GOOD writer has to s t a r t somewhere;*

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm
deirdredawne says...

I agree. I read twilight and the rest of the series when they first came out. dating me as this was over 5 years ago now. Then I thought it was great and it opened my eyes to paranormal romance.

I have never read scifi or much fantasy. So when the Host came out, author loyalty dictated that I must atleast read it. I thought the beginning was rather slow, but I was hooked and couldnt put it down once I reached the 1/3 point. Again, it could have been slow because I am naturally not that interested in Sci Fi or Aliens.

Definately much more of a YA book then adult

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 am
Shadowhunter14 says...

Hmm. Personally, I was never a fan of Stephenie Meyer's writing. It was drowning in unnecessary description and after a while becomes, well, a bore. The Host just didn't suck me in like other books. Some of her ideas were good, some parts I liked but as a whole it wasn't very good in my opinion, it just dragged on and on and seemed veeeeerrrrrrryyyyy long.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 am
PandorasChild says...

Im not a fan of stephanie meyer in the slightest, but after I read The Host my perception improved but only slightly. Her ideas, situations and themes were wonderful but she completely annihilated them with how she drew it out and descibed every single little moment. Her characters were good, (clearly, She created a family of them and thus a multi million dollar mainstream franchise) and her setting was very good but far too much. I only found myself interested in the last hundred pages.
"Dad, I'm hungry."
Hello hungry!
"Dad! I'm serious."
I thought you were hungry?
"Are you kidding me?"
No. I'm dad.

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian