z

Young Writers Society

I dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri May 07, 2010 3:59 pm
Naserian says...

Most people who aren't Africans and write about Africa tend to be deeply biased or simply fail to capture the essence of Africa and real emotions of its people. They thus end up giving a skewed racist picture of the continent. Kuki Gallmann is a writer who has been so African in her writing that she truly deserves mention(plus she's of today a Kenyan citizen).

In her novel, I dreamed of Africa, Kuki narrates of her arrival in Kenya from Italy and the joys and pains of setting up a ranch in Laikipia with her son and husband in the '70s. She tells of her husband's and son's subsequent deaths only three years apart with such elegance and emotion that even the most unemotional reader will be moved to tears. She continues to tell of how she turned her pain into a burning desire to conserve the wildlife in her ranch and the culture and traditions of the communities in the surrounding areas. Her foundation The Gallmann Memorial Foundation is a living testament to her efforts and desire to make a difference in Kenyan society.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to read about Africa by a non-African. It is my favourite book to date and yes,this is an African speaking. Enjoy!
Life takes a bit of time and a lot of relationship.

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss