z

Young Writers Society

George R.R. Martin "Song of Ice and Fire"

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:56 am
hawk says...

I recently completed the first book of the series 'a song of ice and fire,' titled a game of thrones. It's adult fantasy, and so there were a few awkward scenes, but nothing particularly vile (and i don't mean the gore).

Anyway, it's basically a story told through the eyes of many different characters, each related to each other some way or another, and some even through blood. We start of with the Starks of Winterfell, once kings of the North, whom are of an old race of men, and worship the old gods, long since abandoned by other folk.
Lord Eddard Stark is the Lord of Winterfell, and the readers grow to take a liking to him, his Lady Wife, and children: Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Baby Rickon, as well as his basted son, Jon Snow. We see a strong and loyal vivacity in this family, and, as they grow, and are torn apart by waging wars and the game of thrones, we can do little but pity them, and grow closer as they battle hardships and the pains of separation and loss.

It comes to that Lord Eddard Stark leaves Winterfell with his two daghters, his home in the North, leaving his eldest legitimate son Robb to take his place as Lord of Winterfell, and travels to Kings Landing, as his old friend and King, Robert, has want of him to be his new Hand. However, there is trouble about, and deceit growing in the family of Lannisters, who's daughter is Queen. Arya, Lord Eddards Nine year old daughter, and tomboy with a liking to swordplay, understand as well as her father that there is great unrest at the throne, with brutal consiquences.

Jon Snow, Eddard's basted son, has always felt an outcast, though he grew up calling his trueborn siblings brother and sister. He is called to take the Wall, and deal with the hardships associated with the oath one must take to be a 'black brother.' He will never marry, he will never love a woman or hold his son in his arms, he will live and die on the Wall, and will serve no other. His loyalty is no longer to the kingdoms, but to the Wall, and the knowledge that if it should fail, there is nothing separating the humans, from them.

An incredible story told by an experienced writer with acknowledgement of all kinds of personalities. It is so difficult to find a good fantasy novel, let along series, that have the sort of character you want to read about, and see it done well. George R.R. Martin's characters are almost hemingway-like in their hard, brual morals and nature; his understaing of the politics of war, and how they coincide with human nature and emotion, gives this book a leval of maturity that I have only ever seen once before.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:22 am
Nate says...

Those are GREAT books; the only fantasy series that I managed to get through, including LOTR. My roommate last year introduced me to them, and after some initial hesitation, I went through all the ones available in no time.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:48 am
ZZAP says...

I don't even want to talk about that... :shock: :shock: Just amazing, his style and his characters. I'm speechless...

-ZZAP
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:09 am
Drizzt says...

Oh my God, yeah. I love that series. I can't WAIT for the next one to come out. :cry:
People always complain about how life sucks, but they never kill themselves. Don't you wonder why? I do.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:25 pm
ZZAP says...

If anyone doesn't know, George just updated his website... He talks a bit about the new novel he's writing, A Feast for Crows

his site is at http://georgerrmartin.com/

-Z
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:19 am
Perra says...

My cousin just told me about him on Thanksgiving. She told me that he's probably really depressed over Kerry losing the election, and it might take a while until he finishes the next book. That's what she thought, at least.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic