z

Young Writers Society

Books you loved more than the movie...

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:09 am
View Likes
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Well, I usually complain about books being far better than their movie counterparts. Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events and the like are a few examples. I guess the better question (since it's rarer) are what movies are better or at least as good as their books.

Nicholas Sparks, for me, is one of the worst writers ever to become a best selling author. He does however hack a good storyline for a good movie. A Walk to Remember was a stupid book but it made a good movie, so did Dear John and Message in a Bottle.

I LOVE the Narnia books. But I was really surprised about the movies. I'd rate them just as good as the books. They missed some parts, true. But they were excellent interpretations.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 am
gomer4ik says...

For me there's one and the only book.

In university our professor of English Literature gave us one book, so to say "to read and discuss".
That was "The Painted Veil" by W. Somerset Maugham. For most of people with book is just one of the great amount of oldies, that are not worth reading, of vice versa are worth reading. Well for me personally, that book was something magical, something in it captured my attention and heart. I've read it from cover to cover at one evening.

But on the one hand, the story itself is pretty plain. The characters are not something outstanding. They are really common. They are ordinary people.

But on the other, it's pretty amazing, and if you read it attentively you'll see the inner world of the characters, you will feel what was going on in their hearts.

So, i've read it and i was overwhelmed with joy and many other emotions.

And than one day found a movie. "The painted veil" with Edward Norton and Naomi Watts. Edward Norton is such a cutie, that i just couldn't not watch the movie :) So i did. And after it, i had a feeling that now those characters were like a family to me. They (I mean the actors) showed the main characters as i've imagined them. And even better.

Well, what can i say. It's a good book, and a good movie. And i do recommend you to read it first and than to watch the movie. I have a feeling that you'll like both. But if you like the book more, than you're like me :)

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:39 am
View Likes
DaSpetsnaz says...

The first Percy Jackson book. It is a great book, and they made the movie God-awful. They added some things called magic orbs which came in the book at the very end of the book and they put them in at the beginning. They also had to fight monsters not seen until later books. I have to say, don't see the movie.
"Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality."

-Queen

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 pm
writerwithacause says...

For me, Wuthering Heights (the book) was better than the old black and white movie. Although I haven't seen the whole movie (just sequences), I can bet that The mists of Avalon book was also better than the movie.
Julie, a sucker for romance, historical fashion, medieval fairs and blues music. Add photography and you already know me 50%. The rest of me you'll discover through my writings and my photos.

my fictionpress
my greatest project, a history-inspired romance

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 pm
View Likes
AlyKat says...

Harry Potter!!! And the Percy Jackson series...They totally killed my like for it all when the movie came out
Oompa Loompa something something something :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:07 pm
lele253isme says...

I read the book The three musketeers, I saw the old versions and stuff of the movie. I also read Ramona and Beezus But I never saw the movie. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, my all time favorite. I can't think of any others, now.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 am
Tayler says...

Sorry if I repeat, I'll admit I haven't read most of the posts yet. ;) I could go on and on and on, as almost every time the book is a billion times better than the movie. I'm not sure why I force myself to read the books then see the movies, but I do it every time. So, my two biggest that I haven't seen mentioned (but maybe were because I didn't read much of this).

Blood and Chocolate is the biggest one that makes me mad. I adored that book, my only complaint being that it was too short. I recommended it to everyone, and everyone else loved it When I heard they were making a movie, I was thrilled. Then I saw the movie. My goodness, can you butcher a story any worse? So many details were wrong, and the ENTIRE ending was changed. The reason this particularly annoyed me is that the ending explains the whole title. By changing it, the title point becomes moot.

The last one that particularly annoyed me was Dear John. I loved that book, nearly cried at parts (I know, laugh away haha I didn't used to be so terrible about crying over books/movies), and thought it was great. The movie was awful. Pure awful. The ending the changed making it almost a terrible ending. It really made me mad. Also, I felt no emotion. I think the actor and actress did a terrible job of portraying the emotions.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:04 pm
View Likes
RedBird says...

I have to say that the film of the first Percy Jackson book annoyed the ever-living heck out of me. The movie has almost NOTHING to do with the book. At all.

Other than that, I'd probably have to say that the movie they made of The Dark is Rising is the most terrible movie that I have ever seen. The book is great, but the movie is just awful. It is painful to watch, and has nothing to do with the book.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 pm
BrooklynWriter says...

Of course everyone has read it but I have to say it anyway. Charlott's Web. Also I agree with everyone elses statements with Harry Potter.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:07 am
View Likes
HappyDays says...

I agree with Percy Jackson. They didn't even MENTION Clarisse! Ergh... the Percy Jackson movie always gets me started. I'm going to mention a TV series, if that's okay? Pretty Little Liars. I know, I know. They basically got the whole thing. Oh and if you're reading the series right now.... SPOILER ALERT! But Ian didn't kill Ali! ALI killed Ali! And they didn't make Mona the first A, heck they didn't even HAVE a first A! They didn't even spend a lot of time on Wren! Wren was a slightly big part of the first part! And what about all the fights Spencer and Melissa have? They mention literally two (or three, I forget) of these! Even the little tiffs are important! It shows how messed up their relationship is! And what about Star Power? That plays a big role about the messed up family relationship too. Urgh... I think I'm done though. :|

Well that's really all I have to rant about right now....

~Hugs,
HappyDays :D
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.
It just means that you're looking beyond the
imperfections." ~Unknown Author

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:07 pm
BenFranks says...

Ian McEwan's "Enduring Love".

Booker Prized author and extremely well written novel, but the movie starring Daniel Craig fell flat and changed the ending. Mind you, it was kind of inevitable since the whole of Enduring Love as a novel relied on a stream of conciousness that made the reader question narrative reliability, so once that was in a 3D world you genuinely couldn't achieve the same effect. 'Least not in this movie.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm
View Likes
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Every single one of them.

(Eragon deserves a shining mention (and I don't mean shining in a good way.))

The only exceptions are Disney movies and Bridge to Terabithia.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat May 14, 2011 11:21 pm
charcoalspacewolfman says...

The Black Cauldron. I loved that movie. I thought it was awesome. Then I read the book and discovered that Disney screwed it up. I mean, sure, Gurgi is cute in the movie, and it's very sacrificial of him to hop in the cauldron, which is somehow compassionate enough to not kill him, but...he doesn't even touch the cauldron in the book. Some other guy does. And he dies.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 am
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

A Series of Unfortunate Events. Too odd, without the same quirky humor as the books. Of course, a good portion of that humor came from Snicket's narration style. But still, I think they could have made the movie much more entertaining.

DaSpetsnaz wrote:The first Percy Jackson book. It is a great book, and they made the movie God-awful. They added some things called magic orbs which came in the book at the very end of the book and they put them in at the beginning. They also had to fight monsters not seen until later books. I have to say, don't see the movie.

...unless you're a Logan Lerman fan. In which case, watch it obsessively because he's just so dadgum cute in it. :3
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 pm
myintensity says...

Nicholas Spark’s book the last song was actually really good. When I found out Miley was acting in it I was super upset. I decided that the movie would be ruined, and I was right. They completely butchered the movie, I turned it of 40 minutes in. The acting was terrible and they turned Ronnie’s character into a baby. They took out tons of scenes, it was just bad. I really hate when they can’t just follow the book more.

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour