z

Young Writers Society

John Steinbeck's "Of Mice & Men"

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm
BenFranks says...

Hey there all!

Just a quick note to say that Steinbeck's a genious! The way he shows discrimination so clearly in this book is brilliant and the dialogue is stunningly fun to read!

I recommend it to all!

~Ben

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 pm
View Likes
BigBadBear says...

I read this book over the summer after I saw the heart-wrenching movie. I loved it. It's very short--only about 119 pages--and it's really great. I'd also recommend it to anyone.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:32 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I read that book in my ninth year. :P

Poor Lenny. :(
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

411 Reviews

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:13 pm
BenFranks says...

I know, but I kind'a feel good for Georgey. Lol.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:50 am
Sura says...

Poor Lenny? D<

Anyway, it was a lovely book!

OP- if you haven't already read it, check out The Grapes of Wrath. :3
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice
that fish live in fish bowls only!"

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:05 pm
Bloo says...

I HATE this book so much...all of Steinbeck's actually, just so boring and slow to me.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Bolt wrote:I HATE this book so much...all of Steinbeck's actually, just so boring and slow to me.

GRRRR, best book I've ever read
I know I'mm 11 and people ask me why I read the book at such a youngg age but I DON'T CARE! My older brother told me about it first and I just had to read it. I cried at the end POOR LENNY :(
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 am
Hydey says...

This was actually the first book by John Steinbeck that I have read. It was great and the movie didn't ruin it.
The T-V show BANANZA copied "Of Mice and Men" in one of their episodes and it made me mad! :?
“Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy, some grief,
some joy Memories are made of this.”
Johnny Cash

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat May 15, 2010 6:10 pm
carden says...

I had to read this book for a summer school course I took last year. I loved it. It was sad and abused foreshadowing but it just added to the emotion. Pus, I finished it in one day, so you know it short and sweet.

On top of that the movie was good. For once. XD

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri May 21, 2010 3:10 pm
JustACanvas says...

I'm new here and I hope you don't mind me commenting. :D I feel John Steinbeck isn't the most poignant writer out there, his writing is used widely for all kinds of studies in secondary school English yet such brilliant writers slip bellow the radar. I'm sorry to sound pretentious but having had to study him and pick apart his every word, demolished my appreciation of his writing as a piece of literature.
Anything different is just an invasion of your livelihood and you will fight to protect it. Answer me this; shouldn’t you be fighting to get out, to be something more? Or do you enjoy being just like the rest? - J.A.C 23/11/10

411 Reviews

Fri May 21, 2010 3:49 pm
BenFranks says...

Hey, welcome to YWS Canvas! And I know what you mean, I also have to study him!

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:52 am
Navita says...

Argh...I read Of Mice and Men about four times, and hated every word of it. I'm sad to say my teacher wasn't the greatest appreciator of Steinback - I would truly love to grasp all its intricacies and hidden layers. As a 'pick-up-off-the-shelf-and-read' book, I'd say it's not my style. But, ah, how I wish I'd had the pleasure of that intellectual stimulation!

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 pm
TurquoiseRoses says...

I really disliked that book. For me, it's right up there with Catcher in the Rye in the "classics I can't stand" category. In my opinion, The characters were so one-dimensional, and the plot was beyond predictable. I appreciate the social commentary aspect, but that's about it.

411 Reviews

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:09 pm
BenFranks says...

Yeah, but the one-dimensional thing makes the discrimination appear so black and white. I think that simply makes the message even more powerful, because despite the predictable tragedy of the plot, it displays the time it was set in when millions of rural Americans couldn't fulfill their dreams because they were stuck in the poverty trap of the Great Depression and it also allows us to see the social evils of the time too.

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 pm
retrodisco666 says...

This book has one of my favourite characters of all time. Curlys wife. She is so complex. I think and every part she is in, it gets better and has more depth to it.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb