z

Young Writers Society

Ana Karenina

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:05 pm
Zion says...

Or Ана Карениња would be (i think) in its original form. This masterpiece was written by Tolstoy (spell check) somewhere in the begining of the 20th century I belive. Also the movie with Greta Garbo is sheer awesomness. ANyone red it? I highly recommend it
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:00 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

I keep getting halfway through it and then forgetting to pick it up again lol. I'm getting very bored with the first half of that bloody book! But yes, I agree, it is a good book from what I've read of it. Does it get any better as it goes on?
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:49 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I was forced to read it for school. The actual writing of it was phonemonal (sp?). I love the style tha Tolstoy wrote in.

But the style was the only thing that kept me reading because honestly, I despised most of the characters. I wanted to kill every single one of them at one point or another in the story and by the end of it there were only three people that I still remotely liked and one person that I just plain felt sorry for. The entire thing felt like an Russian Soap-Opera set in the past.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:53 am
DarkerSarah says...

I love this book. One of my favorites, by far.

I like the fact that the characters aren't likeable. They're so real. And it came so long before soap operas...

Anyway...I love this book. The ending is heart-wrenching, the morphing of the characters is so natural, Tolstoy is a natural.

I say that, but I wasn't as crazy about War and Peace. Hehe.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:31 pm
Meta-Messiah says...

I am currently just over half way through War and Peace, and have been for 2 months now, the book is becoming a true slog and i dont know why, i love the style, the ideas but for some reason i cant get the drive to finish it, when i do though Ana Karenina is next on my list, is it any easy to get through ?
"Ich weisse jetzt was keine engle weisse" Wings of desire

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke