z

Young Writers Society

The Hunger Games

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:27 pm
tori1234 says...

I only saw a topic on Catching Fire, so I think it's safe to create one for The Hunger Games. I'm not too fabulous at writing reviews, so I'll give you my little fan girl reaction. :elephant:

I LOVE The Hunger Games! It's that type of book that I obsess over when I read it, and normally complete the book within a day, give or take a couple of hours. I first saw the book on Stephenie Meyer's website (don't worry, the book is nothing like the Twilight Series) and that got me interested.

The story itself was very.....refreshing. For some reason I was expecting it to be different. There was a lot of action and a heap of romance, and the author did a good job of balancing those two aspects.

I haven't read Catching Fire yet, but it's on my Christmas list so hopefully I get it then. :D

Please leave your thoughts and opinion, I'd love to hear them.

TEAM PEETA!!!!! TEAM GALE!!!!! <3
Last edited by tori1234 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:17 am
captain.classy says...

Love it! I'm actually looking up Auditions for the movie as I speak. I want to play Katniss so badly!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 am
Elinor says...

The Hunger Games is definitely an amazing book. It was charming, original, fresh, and excellently written. The only thing I could really nitpick about it was its predictability.

Captain- I am also searching for auditions. I am gunning for either Clove, or the girl from District 1.

Team Peeta
;)

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:28 am
wolf4 says...

I don't have a favorite book, but if I did, the Hunger Games would definently be in the top 5! But on the subject of Peeta or Gale... I can't decide. They're both awesome! And I'm so excited about the movie because Suzanne Collins is making the screenplay! Hopefully, that will mean the movie won't crash and burn like other books-made-into-movies I've watched.
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 am
captain.classy says...

I can't pick. Haha.
Elinor! Let me know if you find anything!
I'll do the same.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:03 am
Elinor says...

Yes, I definitely will!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:14 am
RedBird says...

I absolutely love the Hunger Games! Although I do have to say that it was a mite predictable at times.
I was looking up auditions, as well, but I couldn't find much. I really want to be Thresh, but, if they play the Avox capture scene in flashbacks, I'd want to be the boy that gets killed. :)
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:05 am
zoray says...

I loved the Hunger Games. Every chapter ends in total suspense, making the book very addictive. It kept me on the edge of my seat with every passing moment. And it's wonderfully written with easy language that conveys a lot of meaning.
Ok done with the review...
On the Peeta and Gale subject, I'm team Peeta. Gale is great but the story has been centered around Katniss's relationship with Peeta, and I would be very disappointed to see her end up with Gale, unless the last book shows that Gale is more worth it.
Until now though... TEAM PEETA! :D

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:28 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I think it would be awesome to be Cato. Bad guys are funner to play.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:30 pm
kidashka says...

*squeal*

I love the Hunger Games! It's so action-packed and tense and generally amazing!
There were no bits that I thought, 'well, this is getting dull', which normally happens in books - the author will go mad descibing something I couldn't care less about.
I also thought they weren't too predictable =]

Erm... Team Katniss and Cinna?
Cinna rocks!
...I don't really like Peeta - he seems to spend the majority of the first book being saved by Katniss. Maybe I just dislike him 'cause my friend never shuts up about him being such a hero...
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:06 am
Mo. says...

I absolutely LOVE the Hunger Games. :D

I'm so teem Peeta, he's so sweet, and- anyway, I probably don't need to describe him to you! You've already formed your opinion!
Katniss is a big meanie, she's awesome, but also very clueless - and mean. xD

Auditions? If anyone finds anything about auditions you have to let me know! ... please? :D

~Mo.
Mo. was here. :) mwahahaha

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm
UtopiaGirl says...

OMG! The Hunger Games are sooo awesome! That is one of my favorite series! I started reading it and couldn't stop. I can't decide whose side I'm on, Peeta's or Gale's...I mean, Katniss doesn't really like Peeta, but Gale...I don't know. Probably Gale's, he needs more support anyway. I didn't like the end of Catching Fire very much. I hope Mockingjay is a good addition to the series. I can't wait to read it!
Team Gale!

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 am
Earthfire713 says...

I LOVED The Hunger Games! It was so addicting, I could literally not put it down! :smt001

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:16 am
Ktg17 says...

I love the Hunger Games too! Did you guys know that there is a page about the Hunger Games? It's really cool, and there is even a discussion going on where it's like a virtual HG and you are one of the tributes! It's lots of fun, and you can still join! It just counts as a late reaping! You can PM me or Sionarama for more information. Come join!

Don't know if I'm Team Peeta or Gale. Right now it's Gale, but it tends to change a lot. :)

~~Ktg
Even if you see in black and white, think in color...

Reviews: 3
Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 am
AuroraOrodel says...

This series is a long-needed injection of true girl power and intelligence into young adult fiction, and I freaking love it! :smt003 :smt003 Where other YA heroines are cardboard cut-outs designed for the reader to paste themselves onto, Katniss is her own character. She's a complete person with her own strengths and flaws, but you still relate to her struggle. THAT is what makes a good character! Her "which boy do I choose?" dilemma does not consume her thoughts because there are more important things in her life! Unlike Bella Swan who spends pages telling us how compassionate and nice she is and then does nothing but whine about her life, Katniss genuinely cares about people, even people she barely knows and she does something about it. Plus she's an archer, and so am I and that's AWESOME!

The whole premise of the story is fascinating, but if doesn't make you a little disgusted while reading it, you don't understand it yet. It doesn't shy away from the magnitude of the violence, and if you ignore the social commentary in favor of "Team Peeta! Team Gale!" fluff, read it again and really pay attention. I mean...that scene towards the end of Mockingjay
Spoiler! :
where hundreds of children are blown to bits
....ugh! Really imagine that, and you'll have to stop reading. That's what I love so much about the series: it's a fantastic story with SO MUCH to say about our society and our media. Finally! An author who knows teenagers can handle stories about more than proms and boys!

But about the boys...they are equally fantastic. They have strengths and flaws too, they aren't just romantic Prince Charming knock-offs. And when Katniss finally chooses...

Spoiler! :
it's the perfect, perfect choice to end the story. There really was never any doubt she would choose Peeta. He has a bond with her that Gale never could because of what they went through together. If she had gone with Gale, there would always be a part of her he could never hope to reach or understand and it would be a strain on their marriage. But she doesn't have to hide anything from Peeta because he knows what she's going through.

Just saying...all you who think Peeta is really sweet must not have got to Mockingjay yet. Dear gods! I mean, he is really sweet, but what's done to him in that book is truly horrific. The last book is heartbreaking. Seriously.
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla