z

Young Writers Society

The Maradonia 'Saga'

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:20 pm
Merlin34 says...

Don't worry, I'm not about to praise this doorstop. But has anyone here ever heard of it? It's a series (only 2 books now) that was first (self)published when the author was 13, and now she's claiming that she is OMG THE WORLD'S YOUNGEST NOVELIST!!!!!one!!!!!111!apple!!!!!1!

1. Gloria Tesch (the author) self-published it, which anyone can do.
2. Nancy Yi Fan published Swordbird at 12. She may claim that Swordbird is only a novella, but a "novelist" can be defined as either a writer of novels or novellas. Just because a book as an 800-page brick doesn't mean it's good.
3. Even if she is the world's youngest novelist, or the youngest person to write a book that long, it doesn't mean it's good.

And it most certainly is not. Excerpt:
It was a difficult situation but the men in the camp stood closely together as one strong force and were ready to fight for their freedom and for their commanders Joey, Maya and Captain Goran.
“It is wonderful to see when the people in this camp believe in their leaders and commanders but it is more wonderful when the leaders believe in their people,” said Joey and continued, “maybe the time will come or has already come that we as leaders of this camp will pay a price to carry out our calling!”
“Bravo, Bravo, Bravissimo…” interrupted Gertrude, “most people think that we are the bad ones but basically we bring peace to the world. My two friends and I have agreed to make you an offer which you cannot reject.”
“And what is this diabolical offer?” asked Maya standing between Joey and General Goran.
“This is not a diabolic offer. It is an honest offer because we are ready, willing, able and we have also agreed that we will let your men go free.
They are all free to go home and they can take all their belongings and possessions with them and go back to their families.”
“You will let them go home?” Goran asked.
“Yes, they can go home… all of them. They do not have to fight our army of over ten thousand men which has your camp surrounded.”
The army of ten thousand also cheered when they heard that they had not to fight.
“Under one condition, of course, will we let them go free…
The condition is that Maya and Joey give their lives freely as human sacrifices in honor of our lord Abbadon the son of the great Apollyon.”

My apologies to Stephenie Meyer and Christoper Paolini. At least their writing doesn't read like a Chinese person with high-school level comprehension of English.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:47 pm
Sureal says...

Blink's been engaging in an online war with her.
I wrote the above just for you.

57 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 pm
Merlin34 says...

That's awesome. Where?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 pm
Blink says...

Hehe, how did I miss this? Trust you, Sureal. =P

Well, yes. It's pretty bad. My friend at school is absolutely obsessed with her, in a kind of creepy way, and even bought a signed Maradonia. XD It's all good fun. We're contemplating phoning her and pretending to be a editors for The Times. :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

57 Reviews

Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:07 pm
Merlin34 says...

Claiming what, exactly?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:17 pm
Twit says...

Blink, you should do that, and then post the transcript of your telephone conversation. XD
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:27 am
Elinor says...

xD
Yes, she does suck pretty bad. And she plugs her ears and runs at the slightest critisim of her books, which I hate the most. She doesn't understand that was how the best authors got better. You know, she'd never be able to survive in YWS...

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:02 am
Sureal says...

Been flicking through her website. Looks really professional. Oh my god at the reviews, though.

Ended up finding my way to her Facebook page. You guys made my day.

To be honest, though, I feel more sorry for her than anything else. Her family and friends obviously keep on telling her how amazing she is, and it's reached the point where she really believes that her books are better than Harry Potter and Twilight (and even if you're a Twilight hater, you've still gotta admit that it's lightyears ahead of Maradonia). They've given her these delusions, and they're not letting her get rid of them.

No matter what the internet says, real people in real life will always be there to tell her that you're just jealous and petty, and that don't know what you're talking about.

She and her family have wasted loads of money printing these books, hiring an editor who obviously only has a vague grasp of the English language, and in the (actually rather impressive) marketig.

And it's all in vain, because they're never gonna get that money back. The only people who will ever buy her books will be friends, family, and idiots who are so impressed that they've 'met an author' that they buy all her books right away.

Although my sympathy is somewhat limited. I really wish she'd stop calling herself the 'world's young author', when she so clearly isn't, and people have pointed out to her that she isn't.
I wrote the above just for you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

Although my sympathy is somewhat limited. I really wish she'd stop calling herself the 'world's young author', when she so clearly isn't, and people have pointed out to her that she isn't.

The Guinness World Record for youngest published author is something like five. Maybe younger.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:59 am
Galerius says...

Elinor Brynn wrote:xD
Yes, she does suck pretty bad. And she plugs her ears and runs at the slightest critisim of her books, which I hate the most. She doesn't understand that was how the best authors got better. You know, she'd never be able to survive in YWS...

Why not?
Last edited by Galerius on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:45 am
Writersdomain says...

That is incredibly sad. She obviously has determination to write that much; I'd like to see all of that fueled into becoming a better writer rather than inflating her own misguided ego by rejecting criticism.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:07 am
Elinor says...

Galerius wrote:
Elinor Brynn wrote:xD

Why not?

Because here we critique works and point out what's bad so the author can become a better writer. However, she wouldn't understand that and believe were bashing her stories for no reason.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn