z

Young Writers Society

The Best Book Ever Read

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 am
View Likes
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

A book that I can read over and over again, and never gets old, just like the movie. Jurassic Park, by the now dead author, Michael Crichton. There just isn't anything else like it. The book is balanced to perfection. It fuses science, suspense, characterization, a bit of insane philosophy, and dinosaurs! It is a classic.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun May 02, 2010 10:56 pm
bElL3 says...

I love the Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers (A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, As Sure as the Dawn). They're set back after the Romans seized Jerusalem and destroyed the temple. The main character's name is Hadassah, a Jewess, she loses her family during the siege and is taken back to Rome to be a slave. But I wouldn't recommend the books for anyone under 16 for some of the content. I've never been able to identify with a character as well as i did with those in her books. In a way, after reading the books I felt like I found apart of myself that I had been too afraid to show to others. They're definitely a life changing read
Are you a Badfish, too?

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Wed May 05, 2010 4:12 am
Navita says...

I've read too many really amazing books to say which is the 'best'. I thought this thread was about choosing ONE book as the best, but most people seem to have listed far more than that!

So...some favourites while I was going through different genre seasons:

1. Peter Pan (my fav 'fairy tale' type of a story).
2. The Wheel of Time series (in my fantasy phase - a pity I never finished it).
3. The Bourne Identity (and the others in the series - in my 'thrillers' phase).
4. King Lear (in my Shakespeare phase).
5. Jane Eyre (in the classics phase).
6. Nineteen Minutes (in the more true-to-life phase - the current one!).

Unfortunately, horror and sci-fi just weren't meaty enough for me - most books I picked up lacked depth - so that's why I never went through those phases!
Last edited by Navita on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun May 09, 2010 9:39 pm
Naserian says...

My top 5 books as of right now:
    1.The Bible
    2.I dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann
    3.The Shack by William P. Young
    4.Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
    5.Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea
    6.The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Life takes a bit of time and a lot of relationship.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 pm
ultraviolet says...

Definately the Dragons in our midst and Oracles of Fire series. Both by Bryan Davis. They go together. They are a wonderful mix of christian beliefs and fantasy. Oh, and dragons. :lol: It is what got me into fantasy, which is now my most preferred genre. They really are VERY amazing. They really are a MUST READ for christians who love fantasy. Or fantasy lovers who don't mind christian things in your books. And they aren't preachy at all. It flows nicely, and it makes you feel like it could be true--oh, how I wish it were... how I wish it were....
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am
icanbefixed says...

Lucinda wrote:I've actually thought about this a lot. I've decided that it's The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It has everything for me: great characters, an interesting plot that doesn't rely on too much action to keep it going, beautiful descriptions, and the ability to make me cry. XD I literally can't find flaw in that book.

AGREE! :) Love that series. Great plot, great read. I read it twice, and I don't re-read books. :)
The hardest mountain to climb will have the greatest view. Everything at a different angle: memories serve as double vision, a view from the valleys as well as the precipice. But everything that goes up must come down.The descent from the peak will be twice as graceful & three times as difficult

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed May 12, 2010 12:02 am
JaneThermopolis says...

The Best Books I've Ever Read: :smt005
1. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (I read this in a whole day without stopping for bathroom breaks. That's how good this book is and I highly recommend it!)
2. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Classic!!)
3. Dreamland by Sarah Dessen (Not a very happy book, since it deals with abuse and rape, but it was beautifully written).
Apple of my soul,
Eats me whole,
Take one bite,
No delight,
Rotting hole.

Reviews: 3
Mon May 17, 2010 2:39 am
BeautifulChaos says...

The best book series I have ever read is The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. They aren't well known books but they are definately the best. The first one is called Dealing With Dragons.
From the desktop of the very scattered mind of a star gazer.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun May 23, 2010 3:35 am
Loller65 says...

Naserian wrote:My top 5 books as of right now:
    1.The Bible
    2.I dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann
    3.The Shack by William P. Young
    4.Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
    5.Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea
    6.The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I actually got to see him talk once. Afterwards tey asked questions and he signed my copy.

Best book I've ever read?

Either South of Broad, by Pat Conroy, or LOTR, or Reliquary,
or...there's just so many...
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

Random avatar

Reviews: 59
Sun May 30, 2010 2:29 am
jessie2009 says...

A really good series is Stephanie Plum! It's be Janet Evanoich. I think there is seventeen books. There about a bounty hunter names Stephanie Plum! I think I've read, like, seven of them.

Another good one is Crank by Ellen Hopkins.Well, that is if you can like poetry. Its written like that but tells a story of a girl who is addicted to drugs, and gets rapped. It's really good.

Stephanie Plums books are for adults and Crank is for young adults.

There's a a lot of book that I like, but I don't know if you would, because there like romance and stuff.. But I have a whole bunch if you want to know some more ;)
--Jessie

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sun May 30, 2010 3:06 am
Apple says...

I've read a lot of books and I love practically all of them. Though, my favourite would be;

:arrow: The Hunchback Assigment by ...........(I truly cannot remember.)
:arrow: The Wolf Tower by Tanith Lee (This one was the best of the series. The others weren't really to exciting.)
:arrow: The girl who could fly by........... (Erhm...It's a great book.)
:arrow: Deltora Quest Series by Emily Rodda (Literally the best!)

There's many more but I can't remember them.
I spy!

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Fahrenheit 451 is a short, yet mesmerizing novel. Though I rather miss a certain charcter who dies way too early in the tale. It's sp sad. But the insane world taht the book is set in is no differnet than the one we live ine today. There isn't always a happy ending to things.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 pm
retrodisco666 says...

In no order.

Empress Orchid- Anchee Min Seriously one of the best books i have ever read.
The book of lies- Brad Meltzer Intresting, but i would recomend.
Raymond Chandler- Farewell, My Lovely Not the first in the Marlowe series but by far my favourite, i would recomen read them all.
To kill a mocking bird- harper Lee Classic.
Storm Front- Jim Butcher A truly unsung series of books. The series is called the Dresend files and is awesome. It is like an episode of CSI meets Harry Potter

I really shouldn't put anymore, but all the classics have been said.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 pm
midnightread says...

Right, favourite books.
I have so many cause I'm a reading machine (no really I am).
My favourite favourites would have to be
1. Belgarion by David Eddings (you've probably never heard of it but I love them)
2. Malloreon by David Eddings
3.The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr)
4.Cherub

There are many more but I can't remember the names of the books cause I can only remember plots. :elephant:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
A wise man does not need advice and a fool won't take it.

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional.

Rugby is a thugs game played by gentle men,
Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:30 pm
Writerchick says...

well i really cant say i have a best because i have so many bests
but if i had to choose I'd say ptolemy's gate
cant really remember the author but seriously this book still pulls on my heart strings if you ever get your hands on the bartimaeus series read it!
oh an i also loved the knife of never letting go
its really cool and sad at the same time
:( well mostly cool
Alex: I didn't set fire to the building.

Ash: No, but you did pull it into the river.

Alex: That put the fire out!

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red