z

Young Writers Society

The Best Book Ever Read

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:44 pm
ab5986 says...

Hi, I have a book (more like a series), it's the best series I've ever read, the first book is called "the night watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko, if you try to read it you won't regret it, although its more suitable for 16+. Except that I would like you to post the best book/books you've ever read (I'm a bit short on reading materials).
Thanks in advance.
Will Turner: You didn't beat me: you ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:04 pm
Krupp says...

Hm...this is fairly easy for me:

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
2. The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson
3. Byzantium by Stephen R. Lawhead
4. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
5. A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick
6. The Stand by Stephen King
7. Post Office by Charles Bukowski
8. Suttree by Cormac McCarthy

Personally I didn't really start reading until high school, and that's why my list consists of only a handful of the same authors...but they're my primary inspiriations. Hunter S. Thompson was, and probably still is, one of my heros.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 pm
airbear320 says...

One of my favorite books is The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. It's the book I always go back to when I have nothing else to read. It's based on the fairytale, but expands on it. I love it so so much. :D
"Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds."
-Gordon B. Hinckley

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:15 pm
skip.the.words. says...

There is this book I read for a school project in the 6th grade. It is for a younger age group than I am now, but I can't stop loving it. Its called "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. It is about a young boy named Jonas. he is living in this futuristic community. Its so creepy, cause everyone is the same. It won a Newberry Award, and i strongly suggest everyone to read it!
you wont be able to put it down...
~Skip,
Not many people care about me. I am not worried, because I know I can look foward to that one persone who does.

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. ~Marsha Norman

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:13 pm
Lucinda says...

I've actually thought about this a lot. I've decided that it's The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It has everything for me: great characters, an interesting plot that doesn't rely on too much action to keep it going, beautiful descriptions, and the ability to make me cry. XD I literally can't find flaw in that book.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:17 pm
MagnusBane says...

I love the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare - her characters are amazing - and the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Her plots are just awesome.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:22 pm
Fantasyfreak14 says...

1. Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
2. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
3. Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
5. Watership Down by Richard Adams
6. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
7. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

all amazing books! :)
"Its a brave new world."
-Sylar

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:04 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

The Martian Chronicles- Ray Bradbury ***** (really, really good collection of short stories. Best short stories I've ever read.)
Slaughterhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut****
Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde****
American Psycho (18+ really, really gory) Brent Ellis *****
and my all time favorite
Gone With the Wind-- it's long but so rewarding, especially if you are inclined to action/adventure, historical fiction, or romance

FIVE STARS- best, of course
FOUR STARS- great books but not as exceptional as the five stars.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:33 am
View Likes
lilchoma says...

1. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
2. Peace Like a River - Leif Enger
3. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
4. That Was Then, This Is Now - S.E. Hinton
"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody." ~ the catcher in the rye

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 am
leeanna13097 says...

You want me to pick just one?! Okay, here's my list:

1. Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare
2. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
3. Warriors books by Erin Hunter
4. Treasure Island (sorry, I forgot the author :()
5. Miki Falls by Mark Crilley (these are actually comic books, so I'm not sure they really count, but...they're amazing :D)

There's my list! And, trust me, I love way more books than that, but those are my top five. Oh, and, I know it's a little young, but The Giver by Lois Lowry is also amazing. I loved it when I was younger.
Please forgive me if I over-edit anything of yours.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 am
irishfire says...

Ouch. Hard choice....

1) Wolfskin - Juiliet Mariller ( Because she keeps the story moving through dialouge and logic as well as fantastic characters and a love story that can shatter any hearts and make them feel warm and fuzzy inside!!)

2) The Faerie Path Series - Frewin Jones (4 books so far) (Beautifully described, unique plot line and a book that just never gets boring no matter how many times you read it!)

3) The Fetch - Not sure about the Author, Jessica something I think (VERY unique plot line, surprisingly historical, will hook you! :D )

4) Any other Juiliet Mariller book (Cuz shes amazing duh!)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Teacher: What do we, in the U.S enjoy from places like Mexico?
Student: Wait, legally?

WARNING: This user carries a spatula.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:54 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

In no particular order, Jurassic Park, IT, Cell, Harry Potter 1-7, Among the Hidden, (The sequels were forgettable) and many others.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:53 pm
BahadorS says...

The best books that I have read... are in the list below: They are in the order from my most favorite to my least.

LIST

1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    2. The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien
    3. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    4. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:31 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

Ok, I don't really have an exact order for these books, because i just can't choose!!
However, these are my all time favourites:
Of Mice And Men
Alice In Wonderland
EVERY SINGLE ROALD DAHL BOOK
Jane Eyre
Black Beauty
Robin Hood
The Secret Garden
The Little Prince
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:03 pm
PerpetuallyHuman says...

I agree with so many other people - I love reading the Goose Girl for comfort. The Outsiders is also fantastic, as is The Picture of Dorian Gray.

My top favorite is probably The King of Attolia, by Megan Whalen Turner - it's part of the trilogy The Queen's Thief. The fourth one is coming out soon and I'm super excited :D .

I love children's books, too, like Bloomability by Sharon Creech, and Journey to the River Sea, by Iva Ibbotson.

Okay, a few more - The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis), Jacob Have I Loved (Katherine Patterson), any book by Madeline L'Engle (especially the Time Quintet and the Austin family books), and To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee).

Sorry for giving so many - I just love books!

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren