z

Young Writers Society

Wuthering Heights

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:59 pm
mtempleton says...

I don't know why, but I struggle with Wuthering Heights. I feel like i need a flow diagram or something. Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom? I feel like I'm missing out.

And as a related discussion, I was in the supermarket the other day, and they were selling WH with a trendy cover and a sticker on the front which said "Bella and Edward's favourite book". Miss Bronte must be turning in her grave.
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"

Final Fantasy X

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:03 pm
AquaMarine says...

I found it pretty hard too.
Bella and Edwards favourite book?! Kind of sad that's the only way they can think of to get people to read proper books.
But that did make me laugh.
Aqua X
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 pm
Jetpack says...

Miss Bronte must be turning in her grave.

Quite. xD

Anyway, I have a couple of ideas about reading it. I struggled, and as a result I couldn't remember any of it, so I'll have to re-read it. I think that's the best idea - just get through it the first time, and then read it again in a couple of months. You'll have a better idea of the plotline.

If waiting doesn't appeal to you, I'll make you cringe by advising you to watch the recent TV adaptation. The one on ITV? It might have changed a few plot threads, but at least watching it will give you an idea of where you're going. You can read the book in conjunction with episodes, if you want. I know, it sounds very... un-literary of me to suggest a TV show, but it'll at least give you some idea of where you're heading, and it's pretty straightfoward.

Don't worry about finding it tough, though. It's not an easy book.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:12 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I had no trouble with this book, so maybe I shouldn't say anything; did you mean you were having trouble with the family members and whatnot? Or the language?
The family and its various branches can get a little confusing; especially later in the book; but then people die off and it makes everything a LOT easier :wink:
You can write a family tree or look one up.
If the language/plot is irritating you... well that relates to the people since the plot is mostly character-motivated. He did this because he wanted that and there is the result of his folly. So make sure you know the characters and where they are going in the story.

I think it is worth it. The dialogue is so phenomenal in this book; i dog-eared like fifty-four pages and reread them a thousand times to different types of emotional music. I cried every time.
And this is one of those books thats a pleasure to reread. Everytime I do, I get a different feel for the story, have different opinions about different characters, and enjoy the experience a lot more.
Oh, god Stephenie Meyer. Will this sickness ever end??
Last edited by empressoftheuniverse on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 am
Cotton says...

Ahaha. If you look through the archives of "Bad Cover Art" on Writing Gooder, you might notice a familiar book cover, donated by yours truly. I saw it as well, and my friend and I were just like, "Oh no. That is bad."

I agree with the other pieces of advice: the first time I read it, I had to flick to the family tree at the beginning to keep track of what was going on, and the writing is much harder to understand than Jane Eyre (an amazing book - now my favourite of all time. You should read it). It took me forever to plod through it, but then I tried again and it is so much easier the second time around. Also the second time around, I was able to appreciate some more of the subleties and undercurrents that I had missed first time, because I was just trying to understand. Do try again - it's a wonderful book.
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:00 am
Forestqueen808 says...

It took me a while to get into it. I didn't fully understand it, so I may need to read it again. But for the most part I liked it, it is hard to get into because its so long and it seems almost different language.
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves