z

Young Writers Society

Silas Marner, by George Eliot

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm
Abigail_W. says...

When I tell you this is a Victorian novel, I know what you will think: ugh. But this is more than just a long, boring Victorian novel. This is a poignant story with the sophisticated phrases required to make it Victorian.

Silas Marner has been betrayed by his best friend, and accused of killing a pastor and stealing the church's money, which he would never do. Silas suffers from catalepsy, a form of Epilepsy that sends one into a sudden trance, in which they notice nothing and stay completely still.

Back in the day, uneducated people thought that Silas was possessed by the devil, and many took advantage of him. Silas ends up fleeing his old village and finding a new one, where he is shunned and widely afraid of. He becomes a miser, and, through a complicated plot, his gold is stolen from him, only to be replaced with a little girl. Read the book to find out how this little girl changes the way he looks at life.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 am
Kamas says...

This sounds interesting Abigail. though it isn't the type of book I'm into, I'd totally try to read this.

If you enjoy that kind of thing I recomend :

Bliss By: Lauren Myracle

The Northern Light By: Jennifer Donnelly

and... hmm
Well thats all I can think of at the moment.
Bliss has a sort of possesion devil/ghost thing going on and A Northern Light is a beautifully written book that takes place in older days. Happy reading!

Kamas
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights