z

Young Writers Society

Interview with a Vampire - Ann Rice

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:59 pm
Melodie says...

My mom and grandma always read Ann Rice and I always shook my head and put them off as over rated, basing the on the film "Queen of the Damned." It was a good movie but not really the kind of book I read. Recently I decided to watch "Interview with a Vampire" and in doing so realized what the fuss is all about. I was so impressed with Tom Cruise as Lestat and Kirsten Dunst as Claudia and the whole plot and script all together. But anyway I'm getting carried away this is supposed to be a book review.

So as a result as my finding the true Vampire Chronicles, I picked up my Mom's tattered "Interview with a Vampire." I am even more impressed with the book. I do admit that Louis is a whiner and really gives no justice to his vampire existance but Lestat on the other hand is an amazingly deep character with several conflicting emotions that is making me nearly scream to read "The Vampire Lestat," the next installment all told from Lestat's point of view.
"Sorry I didn't recognize you. I've changed a lot." Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:05 pm
Nox says...

I loved the book and also the movie. :D
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 pm
Sureal says...

Seen the movies (both Interview and Queen).
Interview was a good movie. Queen, not as good (the music was the best bit... unfortunatly, you can't get the songs sung by Jonathan Davis like they are in the movie).

I considered getting the book Interview. But I had a quick glance in it, and decided that the writing style probably wouldn't keep me interessted.
I wrote the above just for you.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:17 pm
DarkerSarah says...

I think I was personally more impressed with Brad Pitt as Louis. I think he really captured the tortured essence of the character. Tom Cruise didn't do Lestat justice for me. *shrugs* Not that I didn't love the movie. Interview with a Vampire is the only book I've read of of hers. I really like her style, Sureal. I can see how you might not like it thought, it's really flowery and poetic. I like The Vampire Lestat, but I haven't been able to finish it, and I can't decide why. My mom loves them though, and no one on this board can really understand how strange that is.

*shrugs*

I think that Queen of the Damned lost the sensuality of Interview. Which is odd, because it was really a lot more blatantly sexual. Sexual probably being the problem, don't you think?

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

26 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:24 pm
Melodie says...

hmmm it did take me a while to get used to the style of her writing, especially in "Interview" because of the way Louis seems to be talking to me throughout.

I was impressed with Brad Pitt as I always am but I really dislike Louis. I can't really explain why. I'm very drawn to the character of Lestat for some reason.

Surreal, I agree about the music in "Queen" I actually own the soundtrack. I love it. It's just so sexy. Although I really wish I could have the songs sung by Jonathan Davis.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:22 pm
zelithon says...

I have not read any of the books but I have met Ann Rice and my mom is freinds with her.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

506 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:37 pm
Sureal says...

Demand writing lessons off her ;).

26 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:40 pm
Melodie says...

You know Ann Rice!? I agree DEMAND her teachings.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:40 pm
zelithon says...

EVERYONE I know trys to give me writing lessons, her, my mom, my grandma, my teacher, alot of other people too.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:57 pm
Fishr says...

My Dad reads a lot and read both Interview and Damned. I thought it was hilarious when I found out, because I don't see him as the type to be reading about Vampires. I asked how were they and he claims he couldn't put the things down, unless his lids told him otherwise. ;)

Someday, I should read both books, then watch the movies. I like 'creepy' things - werewolves, vampires, skeletons, dragons, and the like.

Big horror fananic, right here! :D Just not an avid reader. :oops:
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

506 Reviews

Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:26 pm
Sureal says...

When I posted Regarding Vampires on writing.com, I recieved a review saying that I could be the next Ann Rice...
I replied with, 'Who's Ann Rice?'

26 Reviews

Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:16 am
Melodie says...

Who's Ann Rice?! oh my . ..

Anyway, I'll have to check out Regarding Vampires.

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:30 am
Nefer says...

"Drink my blood and live forever." -- Lestat.

I hate Louis and Brad Pitt but I liked Tom Cruise as Lestat.

I preferred the "Interview with a Vampire" movie to "Queen of the Damned", I also liked reading the book. I couldn't put it down! :D

26 Reviews

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:30 pm
Melodie says...

Awesome. Have you read The Vampire Lestat? I'm about a fourth of the way through it now. So far I LOVE it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 57
Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:42 am
Nefer says...

No I haven't but if you loved it I'm sure I will to. I'm gonna search the library for it...

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird