z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter & Inheritance- Opinions Wanted!!

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:38 pm
Sohini says...

The Harry Potter books have taken the world by a storm-casting a strong spell (maybe even stronger than the Unforgivable Curses) on everyone ranging from toddlers to teens and adults .Its popularity is always at its zenith and has made many records.

The Inheritance trilogy is also not lagging behind and has already proven its popularity. It is more popular with the teens than with the smaller kids because of its higher level. Eragon Shadeslayer with the help of Saphira Brightscales has come out if Alagaesia and is emerging victorious in our own world with flying colours.

J.K.Rowling’s writing has no doubt captured innumerable hearts and minds. Her style is comparatively simple yet truly enchanting. It is easily understood but cannot be easily forgotten. The various hidden meaning and connections in the names, spells and more are interesting to decipher. The humour is rib-tickling.

Christopher Paolini has proved his skills as a great writer and a fascinating storyteller (better than Brom, I daresay.) His style is mature and each sentence of his books is an individual masterpiece. His story has a greater depth of mind boggling philosophy and the use of different languages adds a special flavour.

Two worlds- two creators-zillions of fans. Both the plots are equally gripping, unputdownable and highly imaginative. The characters in both the series are life like and seem personally known to us. The creatures introduced are unique. Magic binds all of together by unbreakable bonds of love and hatred. Each series has its eagerly awaited concluding parts coming up.

I ask you now friends, five questions which perhaps will leave you in a daze. Please answer as I’m curious to know your opinions. Who or which do you consider better or worse??
1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)?
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)?
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)?
5. Your two most hated and loved characters from each of the series.

**I don’t have seer blood flowing through me neither do I have Solembum to guide me to foretell like Angela the herbalist nor was I blessed with Eragon’s mistake like Elva. So naturally cannot foresee the future magically. Yet I dare make a prediction:
We now wait for the concluding parts of each of the series, ready to face and defeat Galbatorix’s and Lord Vordemort’s evil army. But what after that? No more heart throbbing waits, no more fear and anticipation. Maybe we’ll have a lot to ponder over, but for how long? Do you not sense the emptiness we all will feel? Do you not foresee the sadness that will overcome us- the ones who love these series dearly? We surely will miss our extraordinary friends and foes. The world will experience a mass disenchantment after these immortal stories end. Who will come next to engage us with books? To feed our imagination, to occupy our minds and to capture our hearts? In this statement, I of course mean not only the end of these two stories but also others fantasy novels. So it is up to us the young writers to wield our mighty weapon-the pen and weave webs of magic, fantasy, drama -anything that will prove worth reading and appreciating for the fantasy lovers. I sense this upcoming distress among us and I’ve also figured this simple solution. I may be wrong but for once think about what I’ve said…

I thank J.K.Rowling and Christopher Paolini from the bottom of my heart for their ingenious contributions.

Waiting very eagerly and curiously for your opinions. Till then:
May your wands and quills stay sharp and may the stars watch over you…
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:34 pm
Melodie says...

Do we really have to compare them? They are both great series to me and I don't really think one is better than the other. True they are of the same genre and are both amazing works of modern fiction. They both have captured the imaginations of a modern society that sometimes appears to have none.

I choose to appreciate and love them both as completely different entities. To liken two different pieces of literature is like likening different personalities.
"Sorry I didn't recognize you. I've changed a lot." Oscar Wilde

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 pm
zelithon says...

Eragon
Lord Voldamort
Christipher Paolini
Inheratince
Hermiony and Harry
elf and dwarf
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:32 pm
Bjorn says...

Eragon...is a childs book. It is not complicated to understand or decipher, its writing style is easy enough for a 4th grader to understand, the so called philosophy embedded within the book, is flawed and muddled, the backstory is boring, some concepts are blatant cheap Tolkienesque rip-offs, no, I should say Tolkien rip-offs period, and of course, it's uninspiring. What about the elves coming from Western shores? Paolini is more than less likely a Tolkien fan, but honestly, to try and recreate Ronald's conceptions, and blatantly mould it into his own? The plot was bare and un-layered. (And the Ancient Lanauge? Wow, I hope he didn't spend hours developing it...)
Harry Potter, on the other hand, is good, to put it bluntly. It's well written, and entrances you. It has depth, and makes you believe. There is no complex philosophical meaning/s hidden within the book, other than the simple concept of Good versus Evil.

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Voldemort
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? Rowling(whats Paolini playing at? I can understand the writing style is good for little kids, but beyond that?
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Potter
Inheritance:Love-Brom Hate-Saphira
Potter:Love-Dumbledore, Hagrid(otherwise I like most of em) Hate-Draco, Lestrange

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:33 am
J. Haux says...

I agree with Melodie. I don't think you can compare the two. Actually, I don't think that the Inheritance trilogy has all that much depth. I was sorely disappointed in Eldest. Anything that could have meant something was brushed over...it was a tiresome read for me. So long...so very long...the major conflict was compacted into five pages out of 600! But, I know it's the middle book, I'll give him a chance to redeem himself in Inheritance.

1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)? Harry, he's more human (blunt trans.: more flawed. :wink: )
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)? Lord Voldemort (you just don't see all that much of Galbatorix)
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)? I think J.K. Rowling's writing is entrancing. Christopher Paolini can get wordy and laborsome.
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)? Harry Potter
Ooh...HP: I love(d)-Dumbledore and Snape(as a character)
I hate-Snape(okay, love to hate him...but he's so interesting), and Lestrange
IT: I love(d)-Brom, Angela
I hate(d)-Eragon (honestly, he's okay), Arya
SPEW to You

411 Reviews

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:08 am
Sohini says...

I think you have misunderstood my rationale. I don’t want to make this a comparison between the two. It really clogs my mind if I had to choose the better between the two. I was really curious and still am to know how many others feel the same way and how many don’t. I though I wrote this pretty carefully so that you would understand that I love these books equally. Through the questions I wanted to know different kids’ opinions as I’ve got no one except my bro to discuss these topics with. Anyway I thank you all for responding.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

241 Reviews

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:20 am
zelithon says...

I read most of the harry potter in third grade! it is definitly a lower reading level than inhereitance.
-Dr.Suess

badonkadonk

126 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:39 am
Bjorn says...

My good friend, Harry Potter came out when I was in grade 4, and I do know they are easy to read. But the point I was getting across (this being said, on average, kids aren't as good readers as they maybe could be), was that it was simple, period. I mean he puts in this 'big words' and seemingly complex 'philisophical' concepts, which are quite poorly explained, and greatly flawed. Put it this way, it's like I were to put a diamond randomly in a row of plain grey rocks.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:39 am
J. Haux says...

You did compare them. You said they were both brilliantly written. I don't think they are on the same level, thought-wise.

Inheritance? I guess we're looking at it differently, Zel. There is an obvious contrast in maturity of thought and theme etc...between them. And, well, yeah, Paolini is younger and less experienced. While I enjoyed reading Eragon, it still had a simple plot with little thought beyond that. He did try to make a few points and conflicts in Inheritance, but he brushed over them, it was over and gone with no impact left! I was sorely disappointed with the second book. But I'm giving him a chance to redeem himself in the third one. Hm... :)

And Erethror, I beg to differ. HP's most obvious theme is good vs. evil, but there are other themes as well. You just have to look closer.

Let me say...My friends and I said the same thing "Oh no! Whatever shall we do without new HP books! The world will surely end!" Now I'm thinking, there are always new things coming. There is always a new idea waiting to arise. So...I'm not all that anxious. I guess I'll be sad when they're all out, but...*shrug* [/i]
SPEW to You

241 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:04 am
zelithon says...

Neither of them our my favorate books. Paloni is younger then some people hear. It definatly does have more than one conflict, famly and betayal for instance. hp only has a few. I wont worry when either one ends.
-Dr.Suess

badonkadonk

411 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:51 am
Sohini says...

i didn't mean to compare them except for the questions.
anyway, thanks to u all for responding.
HP and Inheritence both rules!!
remeber i'm giving my personal opinion so no need to get mad at the comments.

126 Reviews

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:43 am
Bjorn says...

The story is stiff.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:33 am
Supermal says...

I love both books, personally Harry Potter is my favourite, though I admit it is not always the best written (which is especially obvious in Half-Blood Prince).
Eragon is my favourite hero of the two just because I feel he's got a lot more to go against. Harry's just got Voldemort and his meager army, but Harry is my favourite actual character of the two just because I can relate to him a little more.
My favourite villain of the two would have to be Voldemort, though, because he seems more completely cold-blooded and cruel. Galbatorix just seems to have gone wrong somewhere along the line.
Sapphira is my favourite character from Inheritance because she's so funny sometimes and unique while Ginny Weasley is my favourite character in Harry Potter because she's just such a dynamic character.
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 am
SilentGargoyle7 says...

1.Eragon(Harry's just starting to bug me being mad at everything)
2.Lord Voldamort ( You haven't actually seen anything of Galbatorix)
3. J.K. Rowling( but just to comment on the plot of both of them-HP: Voldamort's loose; it's pretty much the end of the world, and we still have time for little in-school, puppy love romances?! E: If you look at the plot , you see it's a ripoff of star wars; just watch: at the end of the first third one Murtagh will break free of Galbatorix's control and throw him off the side of somethin'.
4.Inheritence
5. L: Dumbledore, Mr. Weasley, Murtagh, and th Ra' Zak.
H: Drako, Mrs. Umbrige, Roran,and the Twins.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 am
avidreader10 says...

I ask you now friends, five questions which perhaps will leave you in a daze. Please answer as I’m curious to know your opinions. Who or which do you consider better or worse??
1. Eragon or Harry (as heroes)?
2. Galbatorix or Lord Voldemort (as villains)?
3. The writing style of Christopher Paolini or J.K.Rowling (only the style, not the plot)?
4. Inheritance or the Harry Potter series (as a whole)?

1. Eragon!
2. Lord Voldemort!
3. Christopher Paolini!
4. Inheritance!
5. Inheritance-Love:Eragon, Saphira
-Hate:Gallen, Murtagh
Harry Potter-Love:Harry, Hermione
-Hate:Voldemort,

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain