z

Young Writers Society

A Scanner Darkly (Phillip K. Dick)

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Krupp says...

What an awesome read. What a dark, disturbing tale, yet filled with a sense of humor that you just HAVE to laugh at because it's laughable to NOT laugh. This is undoubtebly one of my favorite books now, and just the way that Dick manages to keep it all going, despite how much the protagonist breaks down in his drug abuse, is just a brutal tale from start to finish, and yet, even at the end, Dick always leaves a trail of hope.

For those who don't know the story, A cop is assigned to watch four friends who are into a drug taht has taken over the united states, and has gotten about 20% of the nation addicted. One of the four friends is a big-timer in the sale of the drug, and the cop is assigned to nail the one who's doing it. The problem is, the cop is also ONE of the friends, and is taking the same drug. Slowly, his mind is corrupted, and he eventually is unsure of who he is anymore, making this a story of absolute terror that just goes to show why drugs can be a terrible thing...especially in these times.

Highly recommended, I loved it. 9.6/10
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein