z

Young Writers Society

The Magician's Guild

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14 am
Terpsichore says...

I was surprised when i searched for this and didn't find a review, [not that I looked further than the first page] so I thought I'd do a quick one.

I read this book two years ago and really enjoyed it. It's an easy read, but still gripping.
It's about a slum girl who discovers she has magic and [during the first book] she hides from the Magicians.
I think the reason I enjoyed the books so much was the use of magic. I found it more 'realistic' than Harry Potter's magic because it was almost limitless in knowledge, but had limits with strength.
You had a magic reserve in your mind and depending on how big that 'ball' of magic is, is depending on how strong you are. And when you want to do a spell, you draw on this power and you use some of this. It means that once you have the basics down, you can do almost anything you want to, just by putting your magic into whatever you want to do.

I would really recommend it if you like fantasy, but don't want to wade through 20-page descriptions and tough story lines.

Let me know if you've read it, or if this thread exists somewhere else. :)
The pen is indeed mightier than the sword. I will maim you with a weapon, but destroy you with a word. -- A.C.G

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm
roon says...

I loved this whole series, as you say, magic is presented in a different way than the norm, and the characters are very likeable. Though you say it’s an ‘easy read’ it is absolutely brilliant. The third book actually made me cry. I think the first book, to begin with, may take a little longer than necessary, but just keep reading, as it is incredible!

I think the third is my favourite out of the three, but the ending is so sad, as I said, I was literally crying. The characters are so well presented, and the writing just keeps you reading. There is another book, set long before the this series, which I have yet to read, but will do so.

The books capture the mood perfectly, you always feel exactly what you are supposed to. But at the end I was actually worried for Sonea. My thoughts were, oh no, she’ll never love again, because of what happened. I’m trying not to give anything away here.

So at the end you will feel that you want a different ending, you will hate Trudi Canavan for it! But I see now that it had to happen… ahh, I’m going to give something away if I keep talking… so anyway, you need to read this book, and the sequels, they are absolutely wonderful, emotional, fantastic!

~ Roon
The worst tragedy for a poet is to be admired through being misunderstood.

~ Jean Cocteau

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice